Syzop reactivated, back as Unreal3* maintainer

News about the UnrealIRCd project, including release announcements
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Syzop reactivated, back as Unreal3* maintainer

Post by Syzop »

And I'm back! I was forced to go inactive 4 months ago due to a severe wrist issue. Now, after surgery and 3 months of recovery, I'm starting to get back on track again and I've resumed my position as Unreal3* maintainer in the UnrealIRCd team.
Some major changes have happened when I was away, such as the new focus on Unreal4* (based on inspircd). It's a drastic move, with a lot of work to do (many Unreal-features needed to be implemented, other things changed to make it Unreal'ish, lot of testing and debugging to make it a good quality ircd), but once completed and fully stabilized I believe it will be a good next-generation ircd which should give us enough flexibility for the next -many- years. It's also written in C++ and is less spaghetti code than Unreal3, which means more coders involved, which again turns out in faster development and hopefully less bugs.
Unreal3.2*, as Stskeeps has said, will continue to exist for quite a while. It will mostly be a bugfix-only branch (with a couple of new features, sorry.. can't resist...). There will be plenty of overlap between Unreal4 stable release and the discontinuing of Unreal3, there'll be no rush.
Finally, I'd like to use this opportunity to thank everyone who contacted me to wish me well, thanks a lot for your support!
Psadi

Re: Syzop reactivated, back as Unreal3* maintainer

Post by Psadi »

Good to have you back and good that you are getting better.
Bricker

Post by Bricker »

wb Syzop, glad things are going well :)
Phantomal

Post by Phantomal »

Welcome Back Syzop,

its very nice to see you're back and that Things getting better.

Greetings,

Phantomal
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Welcome back Syzop
DragonRyder

Post by DragonRyder »

glad you are back - sorry for such a late response to you being back - but been busy running several networks.

have fun as always
TechSlayer

Post by TechSlayer »

Syzop,

I just wanted to come in and bump this thread to remind everybody how thankful we should be to have you helping with 3.3 despite the wrist issues. Without your dedication none of us would have 3.3 to look forward to, so i feel like we as a community owe you a gigantic thank you. I hope the wrist is feeling pristine and that you are in good health overall, and I think I speak for all of us when I say thank you.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

TechSlayer wrote:Syzop,

I just wanted to come in and bump this thread to remind everybody how thankful we should be to have you helping with 3.3 despite the wrist issues. Without your dedication none of us would have 3.3 to look forward to, so i feel like we as a community owe you a gigantic thank you. I hope the wrist is feeling pristine and that you are in good health overall, and I think I speak for all of us when I say thank you.

Actually it's 3*, not 3.3, which is in an indefinite hold pattern by my latest info. You should look at 3.2.9-RC1 available at http://unrealircd.com
buffulo

Post by buffulo »

I concur. I really appreciate the work you guys do to provide us all with a quality product. I really enjoy the current version, and I am very excited to see what new features will be included in the new release. I just want you guys to know that I think you are doing a great job, and that I am extremely happy with the quality you produce. Thank You.