UnrealIRCd 4.0.8-rc1 released
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:12 pm
UnrealIRCd 4.0.8-rc1 has been released, this is the first release candidate for 4.0.8. It is released because there were some major changes in the build system.
- *NIX: As part of defense-in-depth UnrealIRCd now compiles with several hardening options by default. This makes several type of exploits more difficult and in some cases even impossible. Tech: this enables full RELRO (GOT and PLT being read-only), everything compiled as PIE making ASLR possible, stack protector canaries are added, etc.
- Possible crash if you have several blacklist blocks
- System c-ares is preferred over our own shipped c-ares
- System cURL is preferred over ~/curl (if it has AsynchDNS)
- Our shipped libraries are no longer built as static
- Now that shipped libraries are dynamic they need to be installed somewhere (if used). The default location is ~/unrealircd/lib and can be changed via --with-privatelibdir. (Although, if you are a package builder then you will probably use --with-system-xxx and then private libraries are not used at all)