Flooding needed.

The UnrealIRCd team does not officially provide support for any services packages that you may be using or want to use. This forum is provided so the community can help each other with services issues.

Moderator: Supporters

caefer

Flooding needed.

Post by caefer »

hi there,

I am an utter newby to irc server. so please be gentle..

I am currently working on a project providing an irc server with bots as ops in all main channels. these bots are connected to terminaldevices like routers or switches. the system is openbsd.

currently we use an out-of-the-box plain ircd.
since the devices often send multiline messages to the server. they trigger floodcontrol. we configured it the best we could but even then these many lines were send to the client with great delay between them.

what I need to know is: is it possible to use unrealircd in a way, so that channel ops can flood and that this flooding is send to each client immidiatly?

if so, we would use unrealircd instead. if this is not possible, maybe someone around knows any ircd that is suitable?

many thanks in advance!

regards
/christian
want a gmail account? send me a mail. I got some more invites waiting. :-)
Solutech

Post by Solutech »

Not overly sure on this but this link shows how you can configure unreals anti flood features . http://www.vulnscan.org/UnrealIrcd/unre ... _antiflood

A lot of flood control is done by the services package you use so you should be able to alter it in there . Unreal has no integrated services so I may be wrong here but you should be able if the anti flood is disabled to flood to your hearts content . *awaits scorn & derision* :p . Again you may also be able to define a ban exception for the chan ops so they dont get banned.
Dukat

Re: Flooding needed.

Post by Dukat »

What do you mean by "they trigger floodcontrol", caefer?
What exactly happens? Can you give us an example?

Channelmode +f (Flood Protection) is already allowing ops to flood the channel, so i guess you have a different problem...
caefer

Post by caefer »

Dukat wrote:What do you mean by "they trigger floodcontrol", caefer?
What exactly happens? Can you give us an example?

Channelmode +f (Flood Protection) is already allowing ops to flood the channel, so i guess you have a different problem...

well it seems so..

what happens is this:

my current setup involves socat listening on 6667 and passing on to 6668 the ircd so that I can see the communication between the client and the server.

the client (hier a router connected through a bot) occasional sends its configuration as a plain text. this text is sent to the ircd as many PRIVMSGs (70-100 messages) within a splitsecond.

socat shows that all the lines are passed to the ircd immidiatly.
BUT when the ircd sends these lines back to the other clients there is a delay between the lines (about half a second), so that it takes ages for the whole message to show up on the clientside.
the lines/messages are often short (<100 characters).

now I need a possibility to get rid of this delaying behaviour _at least_ for channelops (as is the router/bot).

thanks in advance!
/christian
want a gmail account? send me a mail. I got some more invites waiting. :-)
Plasma

Post by Plasma »

Hey,

Raise your ircd config files sendq value (or maxq I cant recall what it is) under the 'clients' class file to something like 100,000 (do not place a comma in the config, just enter 100000).

Then, give and make sure your bots oper up as an IRC Operator - They will require atleast the 'global' IRCop flag.

Then they can spam all they like and instantly.

You said 'plain ircd' - I hope you mean UnrealIRCd, if not, your on the wrong forum :)

You can find out how to raise the sendq/maxq values and grant oper accounts (and how to login to them) on the ircd documentation page over at http://www.unrealircd.com
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

they trigger floodcontrol
What you are experiencing is known as "fake lag." Unreal inserts a period of time between successive messages to prevent flooding.
what I need to know is: is it possible to use unrealircd in a way, so that channel ops can flood and that this flooding is send to each client immidiatly?
Dear God no! If we did that, we might as well remove this feature completely! Anyone who wants to flood would just join a #jhdsjhfsdhfd or something first. This would then disable the flood protection. The fake lag isn't to protect the users from flooding, it's to protect the server. The only way to override the fake lag system is to be an ircop.
if so, we would use unrealircd instead. if this is not possible, maybe someone around knows any ircd that is suitable?
If you choose not to run Unreal, that's your choice. But we're not going to help you find a competitor. Go ask Microsoft which flavor of Linux is most suitable for you and see what they say...
-- codemastr
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

And to be honest, I don't know of any decent ircd that doesn't have some form of client flood control. Most use the same fakelag system that unreal uses (and some don't have the ircops-are-exempt rule), though there are others that use different mechanisms. Your best approach is to just give the bot(s) a minimal oline, like oper login { password "password"; flags { global; }; }; should be enough. If you want to get more minimal, there's a config.h that enables fakelag exexmption for local ircops (it might be turned on by default), then you can give the bot flags { local; }; or even (codemastr will probably kill me for this, but it IS more secure unless your bot actually needs to /kill, etc - assuming it even works, the bot does still get +O) flags { helpop; }; .