Please help with cygnus

The UnrealIRCd team does not officially provide support for any services packages that you may be using or want to use. This forum is provided so the community can help each other with services issues.

Moderator: Supporters

ice2003

Please help with cygnus

Post by ice2003 »

Hey guys i have setup the latest version of ircd and it seems to be running fine , next step though is i would like to add the services for the users , i grabbed cygnus irc services and installed it and proceded to set up the config , I am sure everything is set fine but it will not connect , ie will not connect to my ip this is the error i recieve when trying to start it.

Code: Select all

[21/04 18:25:57] -----------------------------------------------------
[21/04 18:25:57] Cygnus IRC Services v0.1.0 starting up...
[21/04 18:25:57] CONF: Loading....
[21/04 18:25:57] RS:DB: Loading...
[21/04 18:25:57] RS:DB: No rootserv.db found!
[21/04 18:25:57] NS:DB: Loading... 
[21/04 18:25:57] NS:DB: No nickserv.db found!
[21/04 18:25:57] CS:DB: Loading... 
[21/04 18:25:57] CS:DB: No chanserv.db found!
[21/04 18:25:57] Connecting to 222.152.21.114:6667... Unable to connect to server.
[21/04 18:25:57] WIN32: Cygnus has exited with code 0
its the unable to connect to server that is the problem , wircd is running and i am connected to it with mirc ect,ect , But cygnus just does not want to seem to connect , the link block has been set in ircd and the uline but i am at a loss as to why this will not operate. I have tried downloading another win based services but the link is dead , Can anybody give me some ideas on how to get this working.
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

I recall codemastr saying that using Cygnus is not recommended...

http://unreal.phpmemx.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=238 - it's in there somewhere.
ice2003

Post by ice2003 »

ahhhhh ok thanks for the heads up on that , Any suggestions then on a good on that works under win , the links on here to one that looks good does not work.
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Go back to the topic that I guided you to earlier. Look at my first post there (towards the bottom of the post).
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

I would like to state that the Win32 port for Cygnus was only done once, and the porter left the project long ago. The Win32 port also wasn't a very good one either.

The *nix version of Cygnus works just fine with Unreal. Not sure what the "not recommended" conversation is all about, maybe just the Win32 version .. I've used Cygnus and unreal for quite sometime without any problems.
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Not sure what the "not recommended" conversation is all about, maybe just the Win32 version
Nope, it was against Cygnus in general.

Why do we recommend against it? Well first off, it hasn't been developed in over a year. So anything that was added since then isn't supported, and there have been many things added since then (extended bans, the new +f system, etc.) Furthermore, some of the code is just horribly written. Like the web interface. It uses some insane input log file or something. That's just horrible!

But the main reason is the fact that development is seemingly dead. With current services, i.e. Anope and IRCServices, they still exist and we have a good rapport with the coders. Just the other day I was talking to Andy Church regarding a feature addition to Unreal to support IP propagation. And I talk to the Anope coders (Certus and Rob in particular) all the time. So that means they are always up to date on what is going on with Unreal. Plus, we have the ability to work with them. For example, the reason Unreal now uses the TKL system for qlines is because Certus pointed out that it would make the code in services much cleaner and more efficient. So we redesigned the system to accomodate their needs. With something like Cygnus, such things don't happen. I haven't even tallked to Skold (the Cygnus coder) in at least 2 years. To be honest, I wasn't even aware he was still around.
-- codemastr
ice2003

Post by ice2003 »

thanks for all the info guys , i have decied to stay away from cygnus , however Ron2K im not to sure where u are pointing me to in regards to a better services for a win based system , i would like to give anope a try but i am unable to connect to the website that has a pre compiled version , http://www.wircds.com i think it was is not working , does anybody know where else i am able to obtain a copy of this.

Thanks

Ice2003
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

As I said in that ealier post of mine (which you obviously didn't find, but never mind, I'll forgive you), AngryWolf maintains a Win32 port of IRC Services (compiled on Cygwin). Take a look at: http://unreal.phpmemx.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=161

In the event that his version gets outdated, I might provide the latest version, but on request only.

As for the Win32 version of Anope - sorry, I can't help you there.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

Nope, it was against Cygnus in general.

Why do we recommend against it? Well first off, it hasn't been developed in over a year. So anything that was added since then isn't supported, and there have been many things added since then (extended bans, the new +f system, etc.) Furthermore, some of the code is just horribly written. Like the web interface. It uses some insane input log file or something. That's just horrible!

But the main reason is the fact that development is seemingly dead. With current services, i.e. Anope and IRCServices, they still exist and we have a good rapport with the coders. Just the other day I was talking to Andy Church regarding a feature addition to Unreal to support IP propagation. And I talk to the Anope coders (Certus and Rob in particular) all the time. So that means they are always up to date on what is going on with Unreal. Plus, we have the ability to work with them. For example, the reason Unreal now uses the TKL system for qlines is because Certus pointed out that it would make the code in services much cleaner and more efficient. So we redesigned the system to accomodate their needs. With something like Cygnus, such things don't happen. I haven't even tallked to Skold (the Cygnus coder) in at least 2 years. To be honest, I wasn't even aware he was still around.
Fair enough. Yes, Cygnus has fallen to the way side. I am one of the site admins for cygnus support, so that "not recommended" statement got my curious.

I cannot argue with anything you said, in fact I've switched to Anope Services myself for the very same reasons and will most likely drop my involment with Cygnus all together. skold is still around however he enjoys coding websites more than services these days (no he didn't write the web interface.) I'm the one that submitted the aliases/cygnus.conf to be included in Unreal a year or so back and I have enjoyed my interaction with both Unreal coders and Anope coders as well.
ice2003

Post by ice2003 »

ok guys upon your advice i have downloaded the irc services compiled win version by Andrew Church and proceded to edit both the conf and module conf files , with both these now done i returned to the command and typed in the following , note that all files are contained within a folder services

C:\services>ircservices -dir=services
chdir(services): No such file or directory
Initialization failed, exiting.
that is the error that is being returned , there is a mention of a ircservices.pid file , i am not able to see this and i am unsure as to what this is to contain , i created a blank one but that did not help.

Could somebody offer me some advice on how to get this operational.

ice2003
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

I think you can leave out the -dir bit.
ice2003

Post by ice2003 »

yeah i have tried that if i leave out the set dir command i get the followin.

C:\services>ircservices
chdir(/home/Tomi/ircservices-5.0.30-win): No such file or directory
Initialization failed, exiting.
in any of the config file /home/Tomi/ircservices-5.0.30-win , is not mentioned so i do not know where this is comming from , i did find reference to it in a file named ircservices-chk , i removed all reference to it and put in my own settings but it still comes up with the following error , i have tried every combination i can think of but still no luck , is anybody else using this that maybe able to point me in the right direction.
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Now I don't know what your problem is. Two possible options:
  1. Contact AngryWolf directly and explain to him what your problem is
  2. Get Cygwin and compile it yourself.
I'll be avaliable to help with the latter if necessary.
ice2003

Post by ice2003 »

Ron2K thanks for all your help so far , i have sent a pm to angrywolf
asking for a little help. But i would also like to ask if anybody has a copy of anope that was ported to windows , i am unable to connect to http://www.wircds.net it is just giving me a 404 error all the time.
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

Before everyone thinking that I'm the maintainer of the Win32 port of IRCServices, it's not true. In fact this is done by a friend of mine, Toxyc ([email protected]). I'll tell him this problem, however if you want, you can contact them directly.