ban ip block

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
droolin

ban ip block

Post by droolin »

Ok, this is going to be a touchy subject.... I am not trying to offend anyone... But...

I'm sick of being flooded by a few specific nations.

I've started collecting the cidr's for isps for the nations flood our small network and am ready to slam the door completely on them. I could put this in my firewall, because I host most of the servers... But, I'm not quite ready for that.

So, my questions.

1). Can I use cidr's in the ban ip block.

2). This is the stupid question, but I'll ask anway. Will a gline/zline/what ever line be set when a connection occurs from these cidr's to a server with that block in place... Or will access be denied?

3). Chuckle, anyone know where I can get cidr list's that has been assigned out to nations... Or do i just start taking out the isp's from these nations one by one?

droolin
Hornyness is a perpetual thang. The hornier you are, the hornier your going to be.
Jobe
Official supporter

Re: ban ip block

Post by Jobe »

1) Yes as far as I know
2) A "ban ip" block is a config based zline so will remain loaded and as such will deny access without doing much more (check /stats K)
3) Not that I know of but there might be out there.
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
droolin

Post by droolin »

Actually, I just put the blocks in place and figured if it didn't work I would look for another solution.

It worked, so thats cool. I appriceate the followup though.

I know that I don't have all the isp's for the nation, but thats ok.... If a new isp floods us from those nations, I'll deal with them then.

As far as the national block... I've already firewalled 2 nations due to what I see in my security logs... But I really don't like doing that. And I don't see these nations the irc flood nations in my security logs. So, I would much rather deal with at the daemon level.

Again, thank you.

droolin
Hornyness is a perpetual thang. The hornier you are, the hornier your going to be.
Niphyr

Post by Niphyr »

3. http://www.maxmind.com/app/geoip_country

Probably the most accurate, free list you'll find.