Spamfilter Regex Help Needed

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
j0nas

Spamfilter Regex Help Needed

Post by j0nas »

Hi Guys,

I've been struggling to keep up with spam from a certain network recently and currently have the following filter set;

Code: Select all

*f[ ]{0,3}i[ ]{0,3}n[ ]{0,3}a[ ]{0,3}l[ ]{0,3}f[ ]{0,3}o[ ]{0,3}n[ ]{0,3}t[ ]{0,3}a[ ]{0,3}s[ ]{0,3}y*
but now they have changed tactic to the following;

(F)inal(F)ontasy
F*inalF*ontasy
F*(i)nalF(0)ntasy
(F)*(i)*(n)*(a)*(l)*(F)*(o)*(n)*(t)*(a)*(s)*(y)
is there any way I can have a regex to catch F I N A L F O N T A S Y with any combination of punctuation chars in between the letters?

I thought of putting the following in;

*f[*]{0,4}[(]{0,4}[)]{0,4}[ ]{0,4}i[*]{0,4}[(]{0,4}[)]{0,4}[ ]{0,4}n[*]{0,4}[(]{0,4}[)]{0,4}[ ]{0,4}a[*]{0,4}[(]{0,4}[)]{0,4}[ ]{0,4}l[*]{0,4}[(]{0,4}[)]{0,4}[ ]{0,4}f[*]{0,4}[(]{0,4}[)]{0,4}[ ]{0,4}o[*]{0,4}[(]{0,4}[)]{0,4}[ ]{0,4}n[*]{0,4}[(]{0,4}[)]{0,4}[ ]{0,4}t[*]{0,4}[(]{0,4}[)]{0,4}[ ]{0,4}a[*]{0,4}[(]{0,4}[)]{0,4}[ ]{0,4}s[*]{0,4}[(]{0,4}[)]{0,4}[ ]{0,4}y*
or

*f[!"#$%&'()*+,./:;<=>?@\^_`{|}~-]{0,6}i[!"#$%&'()*+,./:;<=>?@\^_`{|}~-]{0,6}n[!"#$%&'()*+,./:;<=>?@\^_`{|}~-]{0,6}a[!"#$%&'()*+,./:;<=>?@\^_`{|}~-]{0,6}l[!"#$%&'()*+,./:;<=>?@\^_`{|}~-]{0,6}f[!"#$%&'()*+,./:;<=>?@\^_`{|}~-]{0,6}o[!"#$%&'()*+,./:;<=>?@\^_`{|}~-]{0,6}n[!"#$%&'()*+,./:;<=>?@\^_`{|}~-]{0,6}t[!"#$%&'()*+,./:;<=>?@\^_`{|}~-]{0,6}a[!"#$%&'()*+,./:;<=>?@\^_`{|}~-]{0,6}s[!"#$%&'()*+,./:;<=>?@\^_`{|}~-]{0,6}y
but want to be 100% sure before I add it.

Thanks
irs is just multiplayer notepad
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: Spamfilter Regex Help Needed

Post by Stealth »

This will get anything that contains the letters F I N A L F O N T A S Y with anything but spaces between the characters (best option to prevent false positives)

F[^ ]+I[^ ]+N[^ ]+A[^ ]+L[^ ]+F[^ ]+O[^ ]+N[^ ]+T[^ ]+A[^ ]+S[^ ]+Y

This will get any string containing the letters F I N A L F O N T A S Y in that order with anything between:

F.*I.*N.*A.*L.*F.*O.*N.*T.*A.*S.*Y

If it is someone spamming the address of another network/service of their own free will without the permission of the network, inform the network admins so they may track down the perp and put an end to his existence. If the network/service won't do anything about it, or if the network/service approves of this kind of spam, report the continued spam to their hosting provider(s) and let them get what they have coming.
j0nas

Re: Spamfilter Regex Help Needed

Post by j0nas »

Thanks Stealth,

It's hard when it's the network owners spamming and the hosts won't do anything because they don't see it as coming from their IP's
irs is just multiplayer notepad