Ok this will sound stupid but please help me.

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
dantheman

Ok this will sound stupid but please help me.

Post by dantheman »

I have decided to make my own chat, but (lol) don't know how to set up one or how to script. But I have to start somewhere. I asked a person at a chat I use which server I should use, and he said they use unreal and that it works well for them, so I came here. First, I downloaded it. I have mIRC installed already btw. When the sample set up comes up and says to copy it to somewhere...I don't know what to do. I dont know where to put it somewhere and where to get to it. After that I will be asking you questions about how to set it up. Please take the time to help me as I really want to learn.
Dan
Dukat

Post by Dukat »

Good you want to learn.

The first thing you should do is read the documentation.
http://www.vulnscan.org/UnrealIRCd/unreal32docs.html

That should answer a lot of your questions.

If you're stuck, read the FAQ
http://www.vulnscan.org/UnrealIrcd/faq/

And then there's always this nice forum :D

You have to edit example.conf and save it as unrealircd.conf in the unreal root directory.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Ok exactly how would I do that? a right click copy ? and then...........
Dan
dantheman

K

Post by dantheman »

I got to my main folder, and the following shows up. where do I want to put the example at? and also some things say cannot find file search using ie?whats wrong with it lol
Dan
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Ok I dont know if I did it right...I saved the document to both doc area and alias area as I saw lots of .conf's there lollllll is it ok? please dont get frusterated with me btw. After this, where would I go to learn how to script for unreal???
Dan
vebome

Post by vebome »

1) Ermm, make sure you downloaded the Win32 version.
2) If you cannot open example.conf (which is in Docs) then go to Notepad and open example.conf within..after reading it all and changing it to suit your needs save it as "unrealircd.conf" in the main folder.
3) Then i think you open wircd.exe or something (Im not too sure about windows)
4) If you get errors ("Error" on line blah") just reopen your unrealircd.conf and go to that line and fix it =]

:roll:
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Ok Ill post once I have done that. Thanks.
Dan
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Is there a place to go to find out how to set admins and flags and how o install bots and how to program everything?
Dan
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Also, I opened it up in notepad like you said.
Dan
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

I made a couple of changes but not much. On some of the stuff I dont know how to change it or what to change it too, and I also don't know how to add bots or even a good place to find good bots. I have what I can do done, such as the bad word list, the chat name, the head admin name, and a few other things.I need to know what flags I should have available...I dont know what works well. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? As always, thanks for your time.
Dan
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Ok I checked for problems and it says

* Loading IRCd configuration ..
* unrealircd.conf:196: Ignoring extra data
* unrealircd.conf:198: Ignoring extra data
[error] unrealircd.conf:199: Missing semicolon before close brace
[error] Could not load config file unrealircd.conf
[error] IRCd configuration failed to load
where is the missing semi colen in here and please tell me where to place one. By the way this is what I have so far made up for my oper list:) Does it look good?Not finished with this part yet but..........

*oper Paul {
* class clients;
* from {
* userhost [email protected];
* };
* password "f00";
* flags
* {
* admin;
* };
*oper Justin {
* class clients;
* from {
* };
* password "f00";
* flags
* {
* admin;
*oper TheSoullessOne {
* class clients;
* from {
* };
* password "f00";
* flags
* {
* services-admin;
* can_zline;
* can_gzline;
* can_gkline;
* global;
*oper supergeometric {
* class clients;
* from {
* };
* password "f00";
* flags
* {
* netadmin;
* can_zline;
* can_gzline;
* can_gkline;
* global;
*oper FlyingRing1 {
* class clients;
* from {
* };
* password "f00";
* flags
* {
* admin;
* can_zline;
* can_gzline;
* can_gkline;
* global;
*oper Mike {
* class clients;
* from {
* };
* password "f00";
* flags
* {
* services-admin;
* can_zline;
* can_gzline;
* can_gkline;
* global;
*};
*/
Dan
Solutech

Post by Solutech »

Heres a chunk from my operblock . Notice the difference between mine and yours.

Code: Select all

oper Solutech {
class clients;
from {
userhost *@*;
};
password "REMOVED4SECURITY";
flags {
netadmin;
can_die; 
can_restart;
get_umodew;
get_host;
can_override;
};
Firstly I can log in from anywhere as I specified *@*

You also need to use your own hostname not the smithco.com which is in the example . Thats what the examples are for an example you need to putt all your own info in there .

Also I dont have *'s at the start of my lines so unreal reads the file correctly You will need to delete those stars from wherever you put the info into.

As for reading errors from your config . If you use the windows version use the gui's built in editor and use the goto line feature .

Check from the top error downwards doing a rehash after you change the first one . You do this as sometimes shifting the first error eliminates all the others :wink: .

Right your first error is

Code: Select all

unrealircd.conf:196: Ignoring extra data
I would look at line 195 and check about there . You have likely got a ; or } missing .

sort that then rehash and repeat the above til it gives you the magic loaded without errors .

To learn Unreal you first need to get it running . I know from experience how hair tearingly frustrating it is the first time . Like you I knew nothing about ircd .

Have the docs open as you work on the config and take your time do it a line at a time making sure you understand

1: what the .conf is asking for .
2: The info you put in is correct .

The online docs are excellent for helping out with this and explain it all in more depth than the example.conf .

Best of luck and if you really cant get it running or find stuff you dont understand just ask :D

[/code]
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Is there an easier way to find a line than going down one by one?
Dan
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Hmmm Yes I will change it to *@*, but The smithco thing...I know its the example one...I just dont know these people's email yet :) Thats why I havet filled it ijn....if you notice I did fill in mine...supergeo with the email adress :) So Am I just supposed to put the person's email there or.....Also I dont understand what the password thing is for...is that the password they must use in their login to make them an op?
Dan
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

[moderator: Do not post your entire config file here]

Ok this is what I have so far. A. Everything I havent filled out I dont know what to do there...could some1 please tell me how to fill in these areas?B. I removed some of the junk from there, and as you can see added some stuff I made such as the hi and the credits. Will those work? C. Can anyone find any errors?D. How do I go to a line without counting each and every line?
Dan