Hangs on startup

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Bean

Hangs on startup

Post by Bean »

I installed Unreal(the latest version) on my winXP pro machine as a service. When I restart my computer it attempts to start but ends up hanging.
The UnrealIRCd service hung on starting.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
The UnrealIRCd service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Thats what the error is in event viewer. Does Unreal write an error log so that I can find out what is causing it to hang?
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

I know that Unreal does do logging; whether or not it logs your particular error is something that is not known to me. Check your Unreal3.2 root directory for .log files and see what they contain.

codemastr will help you out some more when he comes round here. For now, this is what I can offer you - from the sound of things, you've either encountered a bug or your unrealircd.conf file contains errors.

NOTE: Unreal3.2-RC2fix as a service works fine with me on my WinXP Pro system.
Bean

Post by Bean »

Found the log, your right it was problems in my config file. Thanks
BTW: Can you run irc on a network just by typing in the i.p. addy in mirc? I'm just using unreal for testing purposes, since I plan on hosting a server in the future
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Yes, do /server <UnrealIRCd server's IP> and it should connect. Or just use the dialog box.
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

In my opinion, many people still don't know the difference between server addresses and server names. Here's an explanation: a server address (IP or hostname) lets you be able to connect to a server. However, a server name is just a name for your server, and doesn't give you that ability, unless both the address and the name are the same. So you can connect to your server with an IP address, however a fully qualified domain name would be much better.
Bean

Post by Bean »

How do you setup netadmin users? Heres what I got:
oper Bean {
class clients;
from {
userhost [email protected];
};
password "xxx";
flags
{
netadmin;
};
};

I'm not sure what I put for my host, if it isnt correct. Please note I'm running the server on a LAN.
Also, please point out any other error I may have. I'm not too familiar with IRC, but I'm guessing the ircop is a separate level, and does it have more power than a netadmin?
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

IRC operator is a privilege level below Network Administrator. Every administrators have more power than IRC operators, besides, administrators are operators too, even if the names are different. (For example, to have usermode +N [netadmin], you also have to get +o [global IRCOp], hence you cannot become a netadmin without being an IRC operator simultaenously.)

First, try to set oper::from::userhost to *@* and if you are able to oper up, then you can set more restrictions. For next, I would try *@192.168.0.196 and if works, [email protected] or anything else. Specifying only 'Bean' as a username mask may not be right, see your /whois information to let you know if the specified username is OK or not. A tilde character (~) may appear afore your username depending on your ident name could be found out by the server or not. In other words, Bean@* works only if the machine you are using has an identd running. (As far as I know, mIRC has a support for simulating identd.)

Your configuration looks good, except that you might want to add more oper flags than just netadmin.
Bean

Post by Bean »

A tilde ~ character appears before my name, only if I'm founder of a channel though. And if I use the /kill command on myself or a clone, it wont work. Am I allowed to use /kill on myself?
btw, why does it say to have a password? Do you have to identify yourself? Cause I already identify myself through services, do I have to do it again for admin?
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

Er, sorry, perhaps you won't like my response, but have you ever thought of collecting some knowledge about IRC before deciding to have your own server?
Bean

Post by Bean »

thats what I'm doing right now, im collecting knowledge. Thats why I'm starting a server on my network, I'm using it to learn about IRC. I did the same with mysql, php, perl and other, so I'm moving on to more complicated stuff.
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

The reason why my answer was to tell you to inform yourself is, being an IRC operator is not simple. There are many documentations you should read before asking questions.
A tilde ~ character appears before my name, only if I'm founder of a channel though.
That's unlogical, I don't know what you are talking about. Under 'name' do you mean 'username'? The tilde character has nothing to do with channels and services. I think I correctly described the purpose of this character, and in nicknames it doesn't have a special meaning, as it's not allowed at all.
And if I use the /kill command on myself or a clone, it wont work.
Only saying it won't work doesn't help us too much. There are many reasons why the KILL command can fail: 1. No privileges, 2. Wrong parameters, 3. No such nick, 4. Cannot kill servers, 5. Cannot kill protected users, etc. You have to me more descriptive.
Am I allowed to use /kill on myself?
/kill angrywolf just because
*** Notice -- Received KILL message for AngryWolf!~[email protected] from AngryWolf Path: netadmin.test.com!AngryWolf (just because)

Yes, you can.
btw, why does it say to have a password?
I've never seen in my life the KILL command ask for a password. Any details? Probably you are missing something.
Do you have to identify yourself? Cause I already identify myself through services, do I have to do it again for admin?
No and no, absolutely unnecessary.

What you have to do is checking your privileges, however, as a netadmin, you also have the can_localkill and can_globalkill operflags too, so they should be OK. And I think you issued the KILL command as a Network Admnistrator, so I don't know what's the problem - without details.
Bean

Post by Bean »

Would a tilde appear if I am founder of a help channel? But I have never seen such thing before when I use IRC.
And the reason why I asked if I can /kill myself is that, depending on what you are doing(not related to IRC), you cant do anything to a user that has the same access level as you.
And I guess it isnt working because it says I dont have privileges.
I wondered if it required a password because in the oper block you have to put in a password. This has to be the same password that you use for your user account?
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

Oops, my bad, you were talking about the output of the NAMES command. Yes, in the names list a ~ character shows that you are a channel owner (chmode +q, which Services call as channel founder), but I didn't talk about that one, and it isn't actually a part of your nickname. It's just like a flag (the exact name is prefix). As a matter of fact, I talked about ~'s in usernames. They are not the same. Sorry, I was completely misdirected.

I don't know how it goes on your server, but naturally there are no access level restrictions for the KILL command in UnrealIRCd. Are you using a 3rd party module? That's why I still don't understand the connection between passwords and kills. The oper block requires passwords, of course, but as soon as you opered up, you should be able to kill anyone without any further password authentications.
Bean

Post by Bean »

thats my question though, do I need to identify myself to be opered up? Whenever I log into IRC, do I enter a password command (using the password in the oper block) in order for IRC to recognize me? My oper:from:userhost is *@* right now, but it still won't allow me to kill myself.
I know I'm probably missing some identification command. Because my configuration seems perfect.
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Yes, you need to /oper every time you connect. That's why you had to specify a password... Otherwise, how would it know whether you are who you say you are?
-- codemastr