Hangs on startup

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Bean

Post by Bean »

Yeah I finally just figured that out. Thanks, it works.
I had thought before that if you logged in Unreal would check the oper block to see if your user name matched, then if your i.p. matched, and automatically identify you. But I finally understand. Thanks codemastr and angrywolf for your troubles.

BTW: All you need is netadmin;
global;
services-admin;
admin;
can_globalkill; for full access? Am I missing anything?
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

1. By identifying yourself (with the /identify command or with /msg nickserv identify ...) you will be recognized by NickServ, so you can use the network services. (If your nickname is added to the services oper/admin list, then Services will recognize you as a services operator or administrator.) 2. By issuing an /oper command, you will be recognized as an IRC Operator by the server you are connected to (according to the operflags you have, you can be a kind of administrator, in your case, netadmin), so you can use the /kill command (for example).

Both these things has almost nothing to do with each other. I hope that's clear.
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

No, simply netadmin is enough, because this flag adds some more flags too, in other words, netadmin is also a collection of other operflags. The list of additional flags can be found here: http://www.vulnscan.org/UnrealIrcd/unre ... #operblock.
Bean

Post by Bean »

Certain flags give you other flags by default
So that is not true? On the chart netadmin has everything underneath it.
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

Oh, sorry, my fault again, for full access you must have these flags:

netadmin;
can_die;
can_restart;
can_zline;
can_gkline;
can_gzline;
can_override;

And I suggest to have get_umodew and get_host if you need them.
Bean

Post by Bean »

great! My irc works fine now, no problems. All I need is some finishing touches and a MOTD. Any utilities out there to easily configure unreal? In GUI form
Ryand833

problems

Post by Ryand833 »

I'm new to UnrealIRCD and am having some problems getting it to run. I followed the documentation and made an unrealircd.conf file, checked it twice for typos, and it looks to be ok...

My operating system is Windows Xp Professional and when i try to start the service i get the message "Could not start the UnrealIRCd service on Local Computer". Upon checking the event log, i get the exact same errors that are on the very first post in this topic, and i have no .log files in my Unreal folder.

Any ideas?

--------EDIT----------

Ok nevermind, i just removed it from windows and set it up on redhat, works great now.
IaMtHe1

Re: User/Oper modes?

Post by IaMtHe1 »

Hi there:

I'm currently a network administrator on my WIN XP machine. My oper block for myself is shown below..

oper Desmond {
class clients;
from {
userhost *@*;
};
password "****";
flags OaANrDRwgcLkKbZtsBnGzWHv;
swhois "****";
snomask frebWqFv;
};

What i would like to ask is, as you can see, there is a helpop mode(+h) in my flags. However, whenever i use the /oper command, my umodes always include the helpop mode. Why is this so? And regarding the s(server notice) mode, it's in my oper modes, however whenever i oper up, the mode is there but i do not receive any notices when a user is killed. Any idea?
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

1. OaANrDRwgcLkKbZtsBnGzWHv is equal with NDRZtzWHv. The netadmin flag (N) gives you a lot of other flags as well, as described in the documentation. It's simplier to go throught this sorter list than the original one. Just makes your life easier. Oh, and s is an invalid flag. I don't have an idea how it went to the list.

2. Yes, helpop mode is in your flags, not directly thought. The netadmin flag (and in the original list, "O", "a" and "A") provides it for you. Therefore you'll get the +h user mode everytime you do an /oper. What's the problem with that? I can see an inconsistency in your question.

3. The +k server notice mask lets you be able to see KILLs, not +s.
IaMtHe1

Post by IaMtHe1 »

AngryWolf wrote:1. OaANrDRwgcLkKbZtsBnGzWHv is equal with NDRZtzWHv. The netadmin flag (N) gives you a lot of other flags as well, as described in the documentation. It's simplier to go throught this sorter list than the original one. Just makes your life easier. Oh, and s is an invalid flag. I don't have an idea how it went to the list.

2. Yes, helpop mode is in your flags, not directly thought. The netadmin flag (and in the original list, "O", "a" and "A") provides it for you. Therefore you'll get the +h user mode everytime you do an /oper. What's the problem with that? I can see an inconsistency in your question.

3. The +k server notice mask lets you be able to see KILLs, not +s.
Oh.. Then it means i've messed up the +s mode with another ircd. The purpose of me "requesting" that i do not get a +h is because i have staff for that. I see no point for users to message me asking for help when i have people who can do that for me. Not saying that i'm lazy or do not wish to help. I'm better suited with dealing with network issues and i could sure do with some less interruption(s).

I don't get your meaning of "+s is an invalid flag." The following is what i get when i do a /mode desmond +s
/I/ Your Current Usermode Is +s ( +wxogaANWts )

**Thanks for your response
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

A possible but not the best solution is to do an /umode -h in your on-connect script (I don't know any others thought). And as for the s flag, I talked about an oper flag, not a user one. Sorry for my imprecision.
IaMtHe1

Post by IaMtHe1 »

yeah, that's what i'm doing right now.. Anyway, thanks for your help! :)