HelpOp - does anyone use /HELPOP to ask questions?

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.

Do you use "/helpop some question here" on your network, and do helpops then help the user out? [please read msg below carefully!]

Poll ended at Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:48 pm

My network does not use this, we use a help channel for that
81%
My network rarely uses this (a few times per month)
10%
We regulary use this (several times a week), helpops then help the user out
10%
We actually encourage users to ask questions via /helpop!
No votes

Total votes: 21

Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

HelpOp - does anyone use /HELPOP to ask questions?

Post by Syzop »

Hi,

we were thinking of removing this "weird" feature that /helpop <some text that did not match an help item> gets sent to all +h's.
I've never met someone that actually used this on his/her network but I could be wrong.
To clarify: this does not mean the whole /helpop command will get removed! The on-line help via helpitems (/helpop usercmds, /helpop watch, etc..) will stay, since that's a really useful feature.

This might also mean that the meaning of umode +h (helpop) will get slightly changed [in a positive sense], but let's not get too far ahead.. it's just a proposal after all...

I'm just curious if people have actually used this feature on their net.
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Even if this functionality of helpop is removed, there are still ways that people who use it can get around it. With the alias blocks that send to channels, they can have an alias that sends straight into the oper channel, then they will have a little bit more control over the usage of the command.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Exactly.
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

Of course, what's interesting is, in theory, services too could send help topics in response to a /helpop message. Eg a user goes /helpop How do I register my nick and nickserv automatically replies with the REGISTER command help dump or something like that. Granted it's probably pointless, but still :)
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Both of the networks that I regularly chat on have help channels - I'd be surprised if anyone knew about that aspect of /HELPOP on those nets.
RandomNumber

Post by RandomNumber »

Why not make it a snomask? +s +h ?
McTerry

Post by McTerry »

Presonally I don't even have a network. =)
But soon the community I'm an staff member of, will have one.
I used /HELPOP to just try it out and see whats in it. Even addes some new topics as that DCC help.

I think this could be removed. Most networks what I know about have their own help and support channels.

GameSurge is a network that even have classes do educate some newbees.
BOOM!
madircgod

/helpop

Post by madircgod »

i use both help chans and /helpop on my network altho i try to get my helpops to use /helpop instead of asking me
w00t

Post by w00t »

I've never seen it used. Then again, I may be wrong.

The one thing that really gives me the shits is the whole having-to-prefix-with-?-to-actually-get-help.

I mean, if it matches a help item... why send it out as text? :p

Anyhow, rant/opinion over.
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

In addition to my previous post, I must mention that if I did run a network, I would encourage the use of /HELPOP.

(Actually, I do this already. Whenever we have LAN games in our area, I just bring my box along and run the IRCd off it for everyone. And I've clearly mentioned /HELPOP in the MOTD.)
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

I think we got all info we need now... People rarely use it, often find it annoying when their msg is suddenly forwarded, etc, and for people that want something similar you can just add an alias that msgs to a channel :).

We will probably use these results when ""designing"" Unreal3.3*. I suppose 3.2* will stay-as.

Thanks to anyone that shared his/her opinion :)