Help with 2 Servers

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
dT

Help with 2 Servers

Post by dT »

I've 2 Server and I have one Domain ! I Linked up my Both Server ! i want to Do this one Server name is :
ex:
irc.domain.com
irc2.domain.com

this is the name of the server i gived ! and user will connect with only "irc.domain.com" ! when my irc.domain.com that server will go down ! my irc2.domain.com that server will back up that user, can its ip change to there auto on "irc.domain.com" ? is there any way i can, bakup my user on irc2.doamin.com server ? instad of them geting disconnect or when user will try to Connect with irc.domain.com them to join on my 2nd server which is irc2.domain.com but server address will be that same 'irc.domain.com' ! i dont want user to feel like they got disconnect or server went down ! Please help me and I'm sorry for my bad english ! and sorry i dont think i explaned to you nicely

*Thank you All*
Winbots

Post by Winbots »

ehh... just point irc.domain.com to the ip of your first server..
then add another irc.domain.com record and point that to the ip of your second server... now if a user connects to irc.domain.com, they will get sent to a random one of your servers
dT

Post by dT »

even if i add random IPs for example im on the server and one of them got d/c shouldnt user automaticly set to other server without user getting d/c and re-connecting ...just auto switch users to the server that is "Online" so ur saying just adding "Random IP" it will allow them to swtich without any re-connecting, i don't wanna users to get disconnect, i want them to stay logged in and just switch them into the *server* which isn't down, without them re-connecting
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

It seems that you're looking for an IRC "cluster" which, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, is not supported in unreal yet, is it? .
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

dT wrote:even if i add random IPs for example im on the server and one of them got d/c shouldnt user automaticly set to other server without user getting d/c and re-connecting ...just auto switch users to the server that is "Online" so ur saying just adding "Random IP" it will allow them to swtich without any re-connecting, i don't wanna users to get disconnect, i want them to stay logged in and just switch them into the *server* which isn't down, without them re-connecting
That's simply not possible. Let me explain it this way. You and your neighbor have a private telephone line to eachother. There is a wire that runs directly from your house into his. Tomorrow, your neighbor is moving down the block. Will your private phone line automatically work at his new house? No. Someone needs to run a new wire into his new house in order for it to work.

That's the same thing with an Internet connect. When you connect to a server, you create a socket. The socket links you to that server. If the socket breaks (e.g., the server goes down) then the connection is lost. You can't just magically have it connect you to another server, you have to initiate a completely new connection. In fact, what you want would be VERY dangerous. Imagine the scenario where I "trick" the server into redirecting you. Rather than going to irc2.thenetwork.com you go to irc2.mynetwork.com which then records and steals your passwords. Or consider for web surfing. Just as you're about to complete your Amazon.com order, I trick it into redirecting you to my website where I log your credit card information.

The only way to create a new connection to a server when another server dies is for the client to initiate the connection. There is (thankfully) no way around that. It's not a limitation of Unreal, it's just how sockets work.
-- codemastr