Multiple communities

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
ronrudman

Multiple communities

Post by ronrudman »

I have installed 3.2 on Linux and it works great. I am confused about how I can host multiple communites. They have to be separate, e.g., the same nick must be available to each community at the same time. Note: this is a 1-server environment.

It appears that I can run only one instance at a time. With vanilla ircd I was able to do this by running multiple instances, using the -d option to point at various directories, each of which had its own ircd.conf specifying a different port, its own pid file, etc.

Short of literally installing it from scratch multiple times in multiple directories, is there any other, more elegant, way to accomplish this?
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

There is no such thing as a "community" in IRC so I don't know what you're talking about.

But anyway, if you only have 1 server, then only 1 person can use a given nick.
-- codemastr
ronrudman

Post by ronrudman »

What I meant was that I need to establish a set of private and independent chat environments for several groups of people, all of whom will access my single server, which will not be connected to any other IRC servers.

From what you've said, it looks like I need to install unrealircd once for each group, with each install having a different pair of DPATH and SPATH. locations Then I should be able to run them side-by-side (on different ports). I was hoping there was a simpler way, but...