Creating another Server

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
snakeyes37

Creating another Server

Post by snakeyes37 »

Hi,
I have an interesting question, I have a friend who wants to help me run my network. He wants to know how he can keep the server up even when I shutdown Unreal on my side, does he have to download Unreal and setup the config file like I did?

Thanks.
RandomNumber

Post by RandomNumber »

If there are users on the server you host and you shutdown they will be booted off of the network. But yes he would have to download and install Unreal on his computer the easiest way around this is to buy a shell and run your server from there.
snakeyes37

Post by snakeyes37 »

I'm curious, whats the best connection to run an IRC server on? I've heard several people say that a T1 is the best to use. What do you guys think?
RandomNumber

Post by RandomNumber »

I prefer 100mbit which mine rests on, but depending on the size of the server a home cable connection can do, even a 56k could work if you arent servining that many clients
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

The best connection is a stable one and one that can cope with your users ;).
If you look at for example shell providers or dedicated stuff with 'T1', 'T3', '100mbit' and '1gbit' figures, it doesn't say that much because it depends on how saturated the link is... a T3 that is 90% saturated is slower than a T1 that is 20% saturated. I've had several hosters that claim they had 1gbit and downloads from the site ended up going 100kb/s ;). Also, stability (also of the box!) is often cruicial for IRC.

Before repeating everything that has been said before, I suggest you to take a look at the following topics:
Machinepower and bandwith requiared by unrealircd
bandwidth
What about unreal traffic?
snakeyes37

Post by snakeyes37 »

I see, well I dont expect too may people to come on my network. I'm having enough problems just trying to advertise it, I have a 3mbit/512kbit connection. The computer thats running the server, Intel Pentium M 1.5 GHz with 512mb ram with Windows XP SP2.
Dukat

Post by Dukat »

Of course it's usually better to run the server on a dedicated machine, not your notebook.. :D
If you don't make mistakes, you aren't really trying.
- Coleman Hawkins
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

I ran a server on my notebook for a while... it was a pain :P