Connection Reset by Peer

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
fluid

Connection Reset by Peer

Post by fluid »

Hey all;

I noticed the past week or so, a few of my users been quitting by Connection Reset by Peer.

Can someone explain what Connection Reset by Peer is.

I thought it was a client side error. Meaning maybe the user has a problem with there ISP connection. But I was talking to a friend yesterday and he is telling me its a Server Error, meaning the IRCD.

I seen about 7 users all at once quit by Connection Reset by Peer, this just started about 2 weeks ago. Other then that its running smoothly for a while now.

We have 2 servers linked via SSL and both on Windows Server Platform.
We never had a problem. This is the first annoyance, because the user kept blaming it on the ircd server itself.

PS: We are also seeing Quit: (Input/output error)

If anyone can shine some light on this, thanks in advance!
Running
---------------------------
Win2k Server
Unreal IRCD/SSL 3.2.3
(3) Servers Linked
No Services
TigerKatziTatzi

Post by TigerKatziTatzi »

google is a nice search engine :)

'A connection reset by peer message means that the site you are connected to has reset the connection. This is usually caused by a high amount of traffic on the site, but may be caused by a server error as well.'

At least its a socket error which can happen on both sides. client or server
w00t

Post by w00t »

Or somewhere in the middle. More correctly this means that something somewhere between you and the server (or you, or the server) has fouled up. It might be a router resetting itself, who knows. :).
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]
Suchiara

Post by Suchiara »

ok, lets say I have such structure:

[internet] <---> [router1]<--[router2]<-->[ircd server]

ok, previously i was using Ultimate. If i reboot router1 (it fully reboots in about 15 seconds), nothing happened, just users could not connect to my server during those 15 secs.. But now, with UnrealIRCd, when I reboot my router1 I get almost all my users 'conenction reset by peer'. Why is it so? Maybe something is mising in the config file?
Matridom

Post by Matridom »

Suchiara wrote:ok, lets say I have such structure:

[internet] <---> [router1]<--[router2]<-->[ircd server]

ok, previously i was using Ultimate. If i reboot router1 (it fully reboots in about 15 seconds), nothing happened, just users could not connect to my server during those 15 secs.. But now, with UnrealIRCd, when I reboot my router1 I get almost all my users 'conenction reset by peer'. Why is it so? Maybe something is mising in the config file?
Nope, your router is killing the connection and they have to be re-established. I know depending on the model of the router, this will occure if you set/change port forwards, I have a linksys wireless router that behaves in this exact maner, yet my wired linksys router (i purchased cause i knew it would not cause this problem) will allow me to add/remove port forwards without loosing any existing connections.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Suchiara

Post by Suchiara »

no, I use a pc as a router.. It is runninf freebsd 5.4 atm and is using ipnat..
TigerKatziTatzi

Post by TigerKatziTatzi »

if you run a software router, check your logs, or do in shell
#tail -f /var/log/messages
for checking it during runtime.