server linking question

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
ratman

server linking question

Post by ratman »

hey guys,
I want to link servers in a web fashion, creating ultiple links in a network. The problem is when I do this the fact one link already exists stops me. Is there any way to fix this?
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

You can't fix it because it's not broken. IRC does not support cyclic linking. A server can only be linked to one other server.
-- codemastr
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

RTFRFC. It tells you that an IRC network must have exactly one possible path between any two servers.
ratman

Post by ratman »

codemastr wrote:You can't fix it because it's not broken. IRC does not support cyclic linking. A server can only be linked to one other server.
http://www.newircusers.com/network.html

Go to that URL and scroll down to the "So, What can I do about netsplits" section and you'll actually see what I'm after :)
codemastr

Post by codemastr »

And if you read it carefully, you'll see it says "existing" servers don't use it and it is a "proposed" idea. That doesn't mean it can be done.
-- codemastr
ratman

Post by ratman »

codemastr wrote:And if you read it carefully, you'll see it says "existing" servers don't use it and it is a "proposed" idea. That doesn't mean it can be done.
I think it would be an awesome idea :) Any of you guys do work in RFC 1459?
codemastr

Post by codemastr »

I don't have the several years necessary to establish all the theory necessary to do it, overcome all the technical hurdles, and actually implement it.

No one denies it's a good idea, but remember, none of us are being paid to code IRCds. The work it would take to do all that would mean we'd need to devote all of our time to that and give up everything else in our lives.
-- codemastr