Gaining Op status, Server commands & real basic stuff

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Ares

Gaining Op status, Server commands & real basic stuff

Post by Ares »

I've spent some time searching through previous postings, as well as reading sections of the fAQ and the help documentation that came with config.

Is there a place that i can be referred to to learn some very basic knowledge of how to operate my IRC server? Someplace that doesn't read like stereo instructions? heh

I set up my IRC, and i'm using Mirc. I'd like to know how to do the real simple basic things. Things like gaining server ops and setting user modes.

What are the various commands that i need to know in order to gain op status on my server? When i'm signing on i see that i am given these modes +iwx . Its been a while since i've used IRC, but i'd like to be referred to some worthwhile places to relearn some of the commands that i've forgotten, and others that i never knew about regarding operating an IRC server.

Thanks in advance, for any help.
- Ares
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Stskeeps wrote:Right.. so you think you are done now, you can boot your IRCd and be happy, and it just works. No, you still got a lot to do. You need to read all of the documentation through. Would you even have made it this far without makeconf?.

Well, today, people think they can be 3 months on IRC, and be ready to run an IRC daemon. I hate to say this, but I don't think so.

If you cannot read an IRC help file, or understand what stuff like "desynch", "masskill", "k-line", or what "mode # +l 5" means - or you got no experince in the UNIX field at all, like, you MUST know how to invoke a editor in a shell, or to unzip a file. If you don't know/can't do these things, I suggest you stop trying to set this up, and go read on some UNIX tutorials, and IRC tutorials. It takes a LOT of work to run a IRC server good.

I mean. I sit on the #unreal-support support channel each day, and I see countless questions about stuff that IS IN the documentation. Numerous people don't even bother to look at the config files (CONFIG_FILE_STOP problem).

You need to look at the documentation now. You need to see how to "include" other configuration files. You need to know how to work out how to use doc/example.settings. I can only tell you, if you ask for support, and it is for errors that you could solve by reading the first lines of a document, then you'll be firmly ignored. I'm sorry, we cannot help your laziness.

Anyhow, good luck with setting this up. Hope you understand what I am saying here. You will learn a lot more reading, than just ignoring what we are saying.

--Stskeeps