UnrealIRCd v3.2RC2fix for Win32 : Linking servers/services

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Judge

UnrealIRCd v3.2RC2fix for Win32 : Linking servers/services

Post by Judge »

Hi guys and gals, hoping someone may be able to help with this as I am pulling my hair out trying to run services and link up another server.

1/. Are there any in depth resources on linking for UnrealIRCd?
2/. How do I use the Hub vs Leaf / HuB / Leaf options?
3/. Do I need to specify Leafdepth? What should it be?
4/. Is a services server (i.e. Cygnus) link a Hub or Leaf connection?
5/. Do I need a Services Link/Ulines block on every server or just the Hub server?

Would appreciate any help.

Cheers.
Snaffels

wow... how many questions

Post by Snaffels »

ok...
hmmm

1. i dontr think so.. but i cant say sure
2. you need to configurations your ircd.. with ./Config , when you config the ircd ask if you want hub or leaf.. type hub..
3. dont know what you meening
6. you can use them both.. a hub ircd use to link beetewin wllot of servers.. a leaf use to only one server
5. no you dont
Snaffels

Post by Snaffels »

oh shit
for win

sorry.. didnt note it
Judge

Post by Judge »

ummm, thanks Snaffels.... but I am still none the wiser. Any help would be much appreciated.
Judge

Post by Judge »

ummm, thanks Snaffels.... but I am still none the wiser. Any help would be much appreciated.
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Not quite sure what you mean. If you mean, can you specify link depths, yes.
The docs explain this.
The documentation explains this as well.
First off, Cygnus isn't recommended. Second, it should be a hub. Reason is, the JUPE command causes services to connect "fake" servers.
5/. Do I need a Services Link/Ulines block on every server or just the Hub server?
Again, docs.
-- codemastr
Judge

Post by Judge »

Hi codemaster, thanks for the reply, but again I am none the wiser. Pointing people to documentation is useful only if the documentation contains what they need. And just for your information I have read and reread the documentation until my head hurts trying to fathom exactly what the author was trying to explain. I have been through the FAQ extensively and I have also tried asking for help at #[email protected]

Personally I thought a topic such as Linking would have a little bit more coverage than just a one line description of the options and possible syntax.

I have got 3 Unreal servers running reliably and have found what I needed in the documentation to make this happen. I have also managed to get the servers linked, but I dont think I have configured the Link block correctly. It works fine, but I still do not understand the various configuration syntax and options of the link block.

Quote:

I mean are there any resources on the Internet that cover linking servers and services in depth. Something that explains what the differences between a Hub and Leaf are, the different connections options, how you configure ulines, what configuration should be used for Hubs, leafs and services, whether and how you can use dynamic hosts, and examples of different configurations. Much the same as any in depth coverage of any particular topic.

Quote:

The docs explain this.

Quote:
A hub has multiple servers linked to it, a leaf has only one link... to you. A server is either a hub or a leaf, you cannot combine these options.

What this fails to explain is whether these options should be set on the hub or the leaf or both. Also it is not very clear as to how to layout the Link block as there is the Hub vs Leaf, Hub and Leaf option. Since the link block must exist on both servers which side should have what config.... As I mentioned I have got the servers linked but as I am not sure about what options should be set on what server I am wanting clarification on these, hence my original questions.

Quote:

Quote:
If specified then leaf should be specified too. The value specifies the depth (number of hops) this server may have beneath it.

Hop count is a count of how many hosts are passed on a route to a particular destination host. How this works for a leaf server I just cannot get my head around... leaf servers only have one link - to the Hub server, how does hop count matter in this? What server would be beneath a leaf server???

Quote:

First off, Cygnus isn't recommended. Second, it should be a hub. Reason is, the JUPE command causes services to connect "fake" servers.

hmm, ok thanks for explaining that. Any recommendations on services then. For win32 of course.

Quote:

Again, docs.

Quote:
The ulines block lets you define certain servers as having extra abilities. This should only be used for servers such as services and stats. This should not be set for a normal server. Each entry is the name of the server which will receive the extra abilities.

Guess I have differnet doc's to you, could you please forward a copy of your docs which explains where it says that the ulines should or shouldnt be configured on all servers. Thanks.
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Quote:

I mean are there any resources on the Internet that cover linking servers and services in depth. Something that explains what the differences between a Hub and Leaf are, the different connections options, how you configure ulines, what configuration should be used for Hubs, leafs and services, whether and how you can use dynamic hosts, and examples of different configurations. Much the same as any in depth coverage of any particular topic.
Have you ever heard of something called Google? :P
(On that note, maybe I should try and resurrect w00t's UUDP thingie)
Quote:

The docs explain this.

Quote:
A hub has multiple servers linked to it, a leaf has only one link... to you. A server is either a hub or a leaf, you cannot combine these options.

What this fails to explain is whether these options should be set on the hub or the leaf or both. Also it is not very clear as to how to layout the Link block as there is the Hub vs Leaf, Hub and Leaf option. Since the link block must exist on both servers which side should have what config.... As I mentioned I have got the servers linked but as I am not sure about what options should be set on what server I am wanting clarification on these, hence my original questions.
Use your common sense.

You would set leaf on the hub server, and hub on the leaf server - you see, the hub has the info for connecting to the leaf, and the leaf has the information for connecting to the hub. Makes sense to you?

You're linking services, right? Then you'll need to specify your services server in your link block as being a hub for juping to work correctly, as good ol' codemastr explained.

Oh, and the Hub vs Leaf thingie in the documentation exists simply to tell you the difference between a hub and a leaf, and isn't part of the link block.
Quote:

Quote:
If specified then leaf should be specified too. The value specifies the depth (number of hops) this server may have beneath it.

Hop count is a count of how many hosts are passed on a route to a particular destination host. How this works for a leaf server I just cannot get my head around... leaf servers only have one link - to the Hub server, how does hop count matter in this? What server would be beneath a leaf server???
No man - you're linking to a hub server, so you wouldn't specify leafdepth.
Unfortunately I can't answer your question about hop count.
Quote:

hmm, ok thanks for explaining that. Any recommendations on services then. For win32 of course.
Finding Win32 services is a real bitch - however, there are possibilities. And I'm living proof of that. I use IRC services (obviously the latest version) compiled on the Cygwin environment. Which I compile myself. AngryWolf offers a pre-compiled version for those who can't or don't want to compile it themselves, you might want to take a look at this.
Quote:

Again, docs.

Quote:
The ulines block lets you define certain servers as having extra abilities. This should only be used for servers such as services and stats. This should not be set for a normal server. Each entry is the name of the server which will receive the extra abilities.

Guess I have differnet doc's to you, could you please forward a copy of your docs which explains where it says that the ulines should or shouldnt be configured on all servers. Thanks.
http://www.vulnscan.org/UnrealIrcd/faq/#56
(Using remote includes for this is a good idea...)
Judge

Post by Judge »

Ron2k, you da man.... thanks very much, still would like clarification or examples tho ... ;-)

You would set leaf on the hub server, and hub on the leaf server - you see, the hub has the info for connecting to the leaf, and the leaf has the information for connecting to the hub. Makes sense to you?

You're linking services, right? Then you'll need to specify your services server in your link block as being a hub for juping to work correctly, as good ol' codemastr explained.

Oh, and the Hub vs Leaf thingie in the documentation exists simply to tell you the difference between a hub and a leaf, and isn't part of the link block.

Cheers !!!
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

OK.

On my hub server I would have:

Code: Select all

link leaf.yourdomain.tld {
	username *;
	hostname A.B.C.D;
	port 8067;
	password-connect "password";
	password-receive "password";
	leaf *;
	leafdepth <depth>;
	class <class-name>;
	options {
		whatever options you want
	};
};
And then on the leaf server...

Code: Select all

link hub.yourdomain.tld {
	username *;
	hostname A.B.C.D;
	port 8067;
	password-connect "password";
	password-receive "password";
	hub *;
	class <class-name>;
	options {
		whatever options you want
	};
};
Hopefully this clears things up a bit (and hopefully I haven't made any errors somewhere :P )

Obviously you would replace the server names, hostnames, ports, passwords, classes and options with the correct/required values.
Judge

Post by Judge »

<bg>

Thanks man, much appreciated, starting to fall into place now.... <me slaps head>

:-P