Unreal not starting up in XP

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
dc2000

Unreal not starting up in XP

Post by dc2000 »

I ran wircd.exe (by Start > Run | CMD)
and I see it in the background process running for a second, and right after it closes, and it ran(WITH THE SAME CONF FILES) - so I dont get it, what am I doing wrong with this ircd? It ran 2 days ago(nothing got changed over that period of time) - so yah, any help plz?

PS: Your IRC Tech support channel sucks - so many people online, but no-one helping!

Please reply, thanks!
(PS: IM ON Win XP!)
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Thank you for telling me my support channel sucks. Ever heard the saying "You catch more flys with honey than you do with vinegar"? Well it means, by insulting our support channel, you don't increase your chances of receiving support here.
-- codemastr
dc2000

hey

Post by dc2000 »

Codemastr,

I'm not saying it sucks, not at all.. I'm just saying the people that are there, dont help as much as I thought they would.. I love the IRCd you've designed, and I'd hate myself if I said you, your site, anything about you sucked. I've used Unreal for 3-4 years now, and loved it ever since! Keep up the good job.

PS: All I was wondering is if you could help me out? All I need is help here.. cuz it wont start, and im running out of idea's!

Thanks Codemastr,

*KEEP UP THE AWESOME JOB*
dc2000

appology

Post by dc2000 »

I appologize to what I said, I did *NOT* mean that in anyway, shape or form!

*Appoligizes once again*
codemastr

Post by codemastr »

First thing I want to say is 90% of the people in that channel are not supporters. So if they just idle, well they're just users like you.

But anyway, about your question, my first thing would be, check service.log (in the Unreal directory) and see what it says. It might provide some clues.
-- codemastr
dc2000

mhmm

Post by dc2000 »

no service.log, nothing with *.log.. um wtf? now I know my IRCd is messed - just deleted the dir, then the software from 'Add/Remove software' in control panel, re-ran it and installed my conf file.. still having the same issue..

Btw, what are some ways of running the file? Maybe I'm just screwing up on that.. Iunno.. this is weird!
codemastr

Post by codemastr »

Did you install it as an NT service?
-- codemastr
dc2000

Post by dc2000 »

yup I did..

question, once im done the install, and installed it as a service, it should automaticly start running, right?
codemastr

Post by codemastr »

Uhh no. Unreal doesn't run out-of-the-box. You need to setup a configuration file. Once you do that, you can start Unreal by running the wircd.exe, or going to a command prompt and in the Unreal dir typing "unreal start"

If you selected the "run on startup" option, then Unreal will launch whenever the PC is booted. But you still need a config file first.
-- codemastr
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

And then next time you start up the service, take a look at service.log - it tells you if the service successfully started. If it didn't start, it tells you why.