Uptime & Lag

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
GouroB

Uptime & Lag

Post by GouroB »

Hi , am using unreal3.2.3 , anope1.7.10 , on fReeBSd , i have 3 server's linked 2 of their uptime is 63 days and one of the server's uptime is 50 days . for last few days , i am feeling some unusual lag almost 24/7 .... is this because of the uptime ? i mean can more uptime cause lag ? i checked about ddos , and its probably not ddos . Thx for any reply .
-=GouroB=-
https://www.shunno.info
Your complete web Solution
Irc.BanglaCafe.com
LargesT Chat server in BanglaDesH
Moogey

Post by Moogey »

This may not necessarily be lag on the servers but lag on your internet connection. I'd do some diagnostics.

If it's your ISP - can't help you there

If it's your servers - if you have a lot more people there now or more activity, there could be limits on the servers' upload speeds that would make it take longer (not likely but possible).

But one thing is for sure: if they're all on Linux, uptime doesn't really matter. Linux is meant to be left on for long long periods of time (probably so for all the unix-based OSes as well, such as the newer versions of Mac)
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

There's also an easy way to find out if the ircd is the problem: log into the shell and check the cpu and memory usage (eg: by 'top' or 'ps aux'). If cpu usage is like 80% you know something is wrong (basically anything above 10-20% is not good for the ircd), memory usage, well.. let's say more than 80Mb on average is unusual (though, easily possible during an attack).
GouroB

Post by GouroB »

Moogey & Syzop thx for the replies , probably it wasnt the cpu overload , something else mysterious . and not ISP packet loss either , they assured me bout it . Syzop can u check pm plz , isent the exact thing after doing " top " , its saying cpu is quite ok but still i wanna know what u think. i sent that in pm as i didnt feel it secure to psate in this open msg. Thx .
-=GouroB=-
Irc.BanglaCafe.com
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Yeah, looks all perfect to me :).
Low cpu and low memory usage, so no problem there...

I would still think of something network-related then.

I noticed from the output that you have 2 ircds running on the same box... Probably 1 with low and 1 with high uptime? Is the other ircd reacting faster then?
If not much difference, then it's probably something network-related.
GouroB

Post by GouroB »

Hey Syzop , actually 3 IRCD's r running there , 1 for Java users ( Applet users ) , 1 for nonSSL users and last one is for SSL users, nonSSL server has uptime of 49 days and rest 2 servers has 62 days uptime. But unfortunately nonSSL server lags more than other 2 servers , but still other 2 servers r also lagging unusual. I have more users in nonSSL server than other 2 servers. If its not becoz of IRCD's error then its probably network problem as u said , i didnt get what exactly u meant by network problem , i mean something wrong in my box or in O/S ? Anyway , Thx a lot for your kind replies Syzop and Moogey.
-=GouroB=-
Irc.BanglaCafe.com