Cross-IRCd Experiment

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
aquanight
Official supporter

Cross-IRCd Experiment

Post by aquanight »

A couple days ago, I tried a quick little expirement with trying to link UnrealIRCd to a couple non-Unreal ircds I had laying around my comp.

The first was ircd-hybrid-7-bg, running on Cygwin. After setting up the confs (and the same password was used for both ends), I got the following results linking Hybrid -> Unreal:

Link denied (hybrid.<upper server name omitted>) - Authentication failed (Bad Password?).

Then tried linking Unreal -> Hybrid:

Link (irc.<omitted>) dropped - non-TS server.

(These are not word-for-word the exact messages sent.)

Result: FAILED
Possible cause: I can probably attribute this to the fact that hybrid and unreal use a different format in the PASS command. Chances are hybrid passes extra information in the PASS command that Unreal doesn't expect, and unreal doesn't pass enough information for hybrid to verify the server.

Next server was a Faerion IRCd. The two servers linked successfully, but a few issues with mode flags immediately appeared: namely Faerion's lack of a NetAdmin (+N), channel owner (+q), and channel admin (+a). Plus, Faerion did not seem to recognize the U-Line, but this is probably because I couldn't figure out the format (it used the old conf format) for the U-Line.

Result: SUCCESS

I'll probably add some more expirement results here if I have time. If anyone else has some cross-IRCd experiences, feel free to share them ;) .
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Linking non-unrealircd irc servers is absolutely NOT supported and HIGHLY discouraged (except services/stats of course).