Ban Override ??!!

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Solutech

Post by Solutech »

Sirius wrote:Wouldn't it be better for Opers to bypass any channel modes? I mean, why could an IRCop being banned on a channel?
I just don't understand why?
Anyways, I (and I'm not the only one) would be very happy with this new feature, so please don't ignore this request ;p
example scenario - your ircd has a room set as key entry and unlisted on the channel list , by a group of users that dont want your opers in there as its a support group for victims of abuse and moderate their room themselves due to its sensitive nature. You get a nosey oper that overides that key to get in . Hello angry users as that oper can now identify those people that maybe dont want the world to know .

So letting an ircop overide any chan mode can be a bad thing .

Its all down to how much power you want to give them in the long run , As Stealth says opers are not gods . I restrict oper overides so ircops cant go around breaking past chan modes set to keep them out of certain areas . Some times you need a channel they cant get in such as when discussing as an admin team why you want to remove a users operblock etc .
Yawn. So there's yet another "if the user clicks the button, they're infected" exploit. Why is this news? We already know users are idiots.
Sirius

Post by Sirius »

Solutech wrote:
Sirius wrote:Wouldn't it be better for Opers to bypass any channel modes? I mean, why could an IRCop being banned on a channel?
I just don't understand why?
Anyways, I (and I'm not the only one) would be very happy with this new feature, so please don't ignore this request ;p
example scenario - your ircd has a room set as key entry and unlisted on the channel list , by a group of users that dont want your opers in there as its a support group for victims of abuse and moderate their room themselves due to its sensitive nature. You get a nosey oper that overides that key to get in . Hello angry users as that oper can now identify those people that maybe dont want the world to know .

Reply:
Acceptable, but who knows what they are talking about? I think an oper has the right to know whats going on on his server. Mostly you choose opers carefully. So in this case, just say to your opers that they are NOT allowed to join any channels which got mode +k or +s on it. Only when there are problems on that channel.

Reply:
If that oper overrides with no reason, it ain't a good oper, right?

So letting an ircop overide any chan mode can be a bad thing .

Its all down to how much power you want to give them in the long run , As Stealth says opers are not gods . I restrict oper overides so ircops cant go around breaking past chan modes set to keep them out of certain areas . Some times you need a channel they cant get in such as when discussing as an admin team why you want to remove a users operblock etc .

Reply:
When this happens, aren't you wondering if you'd choose the right oper? And, if an oper breaks the server rules, why discussing in secret then? Even if you want, you can privmsg the other opers.
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

This can go on forever.

This will never be implimented, as it is extremely abusive. As I said before, if you want that, find another IRCd (http://www.webmaster.com). There are already commands in place in both the IRCd and in services packages. It is as simple as reading the docs to know what they are and how to use them.

I am locking this thread.