Networking architecture

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Aquaveil

Networking architecture

Post by Aquaveil »

Hello

I was expermenting with my Unreal IRCd and got a question I really like to get answered.

I'd like to know how the IRCd can actually 'forward' a user's connection to another server.

Example: You connect to irc.xy.com and end up on irc.ab.com.

How does that exactly work? I had no idea yet how Unreal does that.

I'd appreciate an answer to this,
thanks, Aquaveil
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Use a round robin DNS. To set one up, make multiple A records on your DNS for the same hostname.

Example:
irc.yourdomain.net A 1.2.3.4
irc.yourdomain.net A 1.2.3.5
irc.yourdomain.net A 1.2.3.6

These would automatically load balance your servers.
Aquaveil

Post by Aquaveil »

Just one last question.

Where can I set up a round robin on a windows system?

I friend of me also told me about the round robin but I haven't found any informations on how to set it up, since I don't know where I can setup these things.

I hope you (or anybody else) can explain that to me.
Thanks, Aquaveil
tdw

Post by tdw »

buy a domain name by some host, and then point the dns as showed above
black_skies4

Post by black_skies4 »

Yeah it has nothing to do with Windows, you need a domain, or maybe you can get a free subdomain from somewhere or a friend. You need zone editing access, and if you don't know how to do that, read up on it or else you shouldn't be running an IRCd :-P.
da127

Post by da127 »

A good place to start is zoneedit.com, they'll give you a free account and you can add up to 10 zones before you have to pay them anything (in this case you'll only need 1 zone).
Next gather about $35 USD and visit register.com or godaddy.com, register a domain (.com, .net and .org's are usually pretty cheap).
After you've done that go back to zoneedit, login with your account and add the zone (domain) you just registered, zoneedit will tell you that you need to set the nameservers of the domain and give you two nameservers to use.
Now that you have the nameservers go back to register.com or godaddy.com login to your account and select the domain you registered, you're looking for the domain's nameserver configuration (it will require two), after you've found that stick the nameservers zoneedit.com gave you in the two boxes and submit the changes.
Changes to nameservers can take up to 48 hours to complete.
Now you can go back to zoneedit.com and as previously stated setup a round robin DNS by adding multiple A records for the same subdomain (Stealth gives a good example of what this should look like).
black_skies4

Post by black_skies4 »

da127: A domain from Godaddy.com is only like $8.95 USD before the ICANN fee, so in total it would only be $9.20, unless you were referring to register it for more than one year, he only needs about $10 USD.

By the way it usually never takes 48 hours to propogate, usually about 24, but it can is the point they will try to make.
sdamon

Post by sdamon »

Stealth wrote:...
These would automatically load balance your servers.
There IS a problem there. While an isp's dns cache will HAVE all the arecords in there for dns utilities, they DONT rotate the responce...atleast there are a fey ISPs that dont.

Its a good step..but keep your users aware of the other servers and your need for them to ballence if one server beacomes to heavily loaded.