Connection problems...

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
kanadakid

Connection problems...

Post by kanadakid »

Hi, I am running Unreal 3.2 and have this connection problem.
I am running the server on Redhat Linux 9 from inside a network connected to a router. Here is the problem.
I started the server, and am trying to connect to it. I can manage to connect from inside the network, but can't connect from outside the network. It just gives a "Connectione refused" message.
I forwarded the proper ports in my router and configured my firewall to accept connections. Also, I made some changes to the config file to make it work.

Any ideas?
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

This is just a shot in the dark, but...

You may want to check the IP used in your listen directive. The IP specifies what network interface the server will use to serve connections. If you specify *, it will use all available interfaces, and you should be able to connect, but if you specify a single IP, and that IP is not visible to the router (like 127.0.0.1) then you will not be able to connect because the router will try to connect you to an network interface that the server isn't listening on. This may become a problem if you have two seperate LAN cards: one for your LAN and one for your router.

Also make sure your port numbers in listen coincide with the forwarded ports and the port you are trying to connect to.
kanadakid

Post by kanadakid »

The IP adresses in the config file are as follows:

listen *:6667
listen *.8076

Also, I doubled checked the forwarded ports and they do coincide with the ports listed in the config file. Everything seems to be in order, including my firewall settings which allow all the nessesary ports, yet it still refuses any outside connections!

Any ideas?
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Are you sure you setup the port forwarding to forward to the correct IP?
-- codemastr
kanadakid

Post by kanadakid »

Ah, I re-checked the port forwarding, and it appears that I was forwarding the ports to the incorrect IP. Fixed that and now Unreal works perfectly! Thanks! 8)