Compile Question

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
dkuntz

Compile Question

Post by dkuntz »

Has anyone had any experience compiling Unreal with ICC (Intel C/C++ Compiler). I've tried with using CC=/opt/intel_cc_80/bin/icc CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/intel_cc_80/include (and have the libs linked in w/ ldconfig, etc etc), but it gets errors while compiling.

Any ideas?

Doug
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

Different compilers = different problems/features/command-line options.

Unreal builds fine on GCC and MSC, but only with help from #ifdef ;) and the use of two seperate makefiles. For your compiler to be supported, Unreal would have to account for whatever quirks it has. Example: one obvious difference between GCC and MSC is MSC uses __declspec() but GCC does not. Plus MSC 7+ (C++.NET) has the /clr switch to generate managed code (for the .NET Framework). GCC doesn't have this. (/me wonders what would happen if unreal was compiled with /clr. I'd have to try it... nah.) And not to mention the difference in flags.
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Unreal should, in theory, work just fine on icc. However, I've never tested it myself (I don't have access to any machines that use icc!)
but it gets errors while compiling
Your average compiler can generate hundreds, if not thousands of different error messages, and from what I've read about icc, it generates even more messages than most. It would be much more helpful to us if you could give us the actual error messages. Perhaps we can tell you what to do differently, or correct any incompatibilities in Unreal.
-- codemastr
dkuntz

Post by dkuntz »

Ok.. from what I can tell, ICC seems to mess up the versioning... I'm using the 3.2 source (not RC2Fix), but when I try to start unreal, it says that commands.so was compiled for RC2Fix (I checked the timestamp on the file, and it's the same time as the compile). I'm goin to keep playing with it, maybe there's some odd flag for ICC.
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Well that message is generated by Unreal, not the compiler. Try deleting commands.so and running make again.
-- codemastr