Oper Block - Services Operators

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
cprompt

Oper Block - Services Operators

Post by cprompt »

Is there a services operator flag for the oper block? If not, any plans to add it?
_MiF_

Post by _MiF_ »

yep, its "a" flag. But some services needs for nickname to be in operserv opers/admin list, to use special commands.
Best regards, _MiF_
cprompt

Post by cprompt »

_MiF_ wrote:yep, its "a" flag. But some services needs for nickname to be in operserv opers/admin list, to use special commands.
If I'm not mistaken, that flag is for services admin, which is different than services operator in many cservices such as anope.
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Time for the long explanation...

If you give a user the "a" flag, they will show up in a /WHOIS as "Services Operator". (I remember seeing the reasons for this in the bugtracker somewhere.) Which means that you can quite comfortably give the "a" flag to your services operators. Also, I opened up IRCServices' Unreal module code, and it appears to me that it gives the "a" flag to all services operators and administrators who have opered up and identified to NickServ, so you don't have to worry too much about putting it in yourself.

Also, with IRCServices, the user has to be explicitly specified in the services operator or administrator lists to receive the relevant OperServ privileges. Although I don't know, I'm sure that Anope works the same way.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

If you give a user the "a" flag, they will show up in a /WHOIS as "Services Operator".

Some Services support both Services opers and services Admin access. Some only have IRCop, Services Admin and SRA access.

There really isn't a "standard". DALnet calls a Services Admin an oper with an "a" flag and no services access, yet a CSOP is a Services Admin with Services access. where on some other Services each the oper and admin have access to services and have access to different commands.

So it all really depends on what ircd/services you run as to whom you call what.