Banning certain client-versions?

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
janosch

Banning certain client-versions?

Post by janosch »

Hello!

Is it possible to ban _all_ client-connections except the ones from a special client software!? In my case I want to allow connections from a Java-Webchat-Applet to my server, only!

Thanks for hints!
Dukat

Post by Dukat »

Just use a Password (if you Java-Applet is supporting this).

"Normal" Clients still could connect, though, if they know the password...

http://www.vulnscan.org/UnrealIRCd/unre ... allowblock

Unreal's Ban Version Block won't work, because if a Client isn't sending a CTCP Version, the Ban will not work.

Maybe it could be done in a module...

Or you could possibly use Services... if you have anope, you might try the ircd_ctcpversion module (I haven't tried that one... maybe it does something completely different *g*) http://modules.anope.org/modules.php?op=details&id=27

I think the Passworded Allow Block is the best method... :D
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

and use a non-standard port such as 4500.
Dukat

Post by Dukat »

Security by obscurity?

Oh well... :D

It could add a bit of additional security, right...

I think the main problem is, that you have to expose the Server Address, Port and Password in plain text in the HTML-Document the Applet is loaded from... :(
_MiF_

Re: Banning certain client-versions?

Post by _MiF_ »

janosch wrote:Hello!

Is it possible to ban _all_ client-connections except the ones from a special client software!? In my case I want to allow connections from a Java-Webchat-Applet to my server, only!

Thanks for hints!
If it's Java Applet - that is no problem, coz your clients will have same ip address, or host prefix. Ban all, and make an exception for users that using your applet.. 8)
Best regards, _MiF_
Dukat

Post by Dukat »

_MiF_ wrote:If it's Java Applet - that is no problem, coz your clients will have same ip address, or host prefix. Ban all, and make an exception for users that using your applet.. 8)
If it's a Java Applet, they WON'T have the same IP Address or same host prefix... They will have their REAL IP Address.

You may could set them all the same ident - but that wouldn't be more secure than any of the other solutions mentioned... oh well :?
_MiF_

Post by _MiF_ »

Dukat wrote:
_MiF_ wrote:If it's Java Applet - that is no problem, coz your clients will have same ip address, or host prefix. Ban all, and make an exception for users that using your applet.. 8)
If it's a Java Applet, they WON'T have the same IP Address or same host prefix... They will have their REAL IP Address.

You may could set them all the same ident - but that wouldn't be more secure than any of the other solutions mentioned... oh well :?
Most JAPPs have option to change or add prefix to user's host. So it can be very actual for this situation.
Best regards, _MiF_
Dukat

Post by Dukat »

I think we mean the same :D

But it is obvious that the Users won't have the same IP Address, just because a Java Applet is nothing different than any other IRC Client (kinda *g*).
_MiF_

Post by _MiF_ »

Check the options... By myself i wrote some gate applets =)
Best regards, _MiF_