Windows version

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Kram

Windows version

Post by Kram »

Would it be possible to compile a windows version of Unreal 3.2 with zip links, SSL, and not using the extended symbol codes? I guess that should
read, would the people in charge of the windows version of unreal considering makeing a version with those options? I want to run the windows version on my network again, but we also do not want the extended symbols & ~ etc.

Thanks.
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

Download the *nix source, which comes with a makefile.win32. Look at it. Adjust as necessary. Then D/L the MSVC toolkit and run `NMAKE -f makefile.win32`
Kram

Post by Kram »

It is my understanding, if I want SSL, and ZIP links as well, it will not be
as simple as you make it out to sound.
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

You'd need to download the openssl and zlib development packages. Then you just modify the makefile.win32 accordingly.
-- codemastr
Kram

Post by Kram »

Yeah, so wouldn't it be much easier for the people who already build and
maintain the windows code, to just compile a version without the extended
codes like I asked?
codemastr

Post by codemastr »

Would it be? Yes, however, if we go and make a custom build for you, then we have to do it for everyone who asks. And then we're spending more time doing custom builds than anything else.
-- codemastr
Kram

Post by Kram »

How many different options for a windows build could there be? You already have 2 versions. I am not asking for my own custom build to be only used by me, I am asking for a version that everyone could use. How many people run the windows version? How many run the non-ssl version? How many run the ssl version? How many of either of those groups would like to not be forced into having the extended codes? Is my request really so unresonable, that we have to sit here and debate it?
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

You didn't read what codemastr said, didn't you?

As far as I'm concerned, if you want a custom Win32 build, you can do it yourself. The UnrealIRCd team are coders and not babysitters.
codemastr

Post by codemastr »

I want it without prefixaq but with ssl
I want it without prefixaq and without ssl
I want it without prefixaq with ssl and without zip
I want it without prefixaq with ssl and without remote includes
I want it without prefixaq ...

If you do the math, it would come out to be 16 different releases. I'm not about to have 16 different downloads for Windows.
-- codemastr
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

Agreed.

If you don't want it, don't use it.

+aq will do their thing whether you disable prefixes or not. If you run services, you might as well just use the prefixes ;) .

How to not use zlib: don't use link::options::zip. Why you wouldn't want to save bandwidth with ziplinks is beyond me.

How to not use ssl: don't have listen::options::ssl, allow::options:ssl, or link::options::ssl. Why you wouldn't want to secure server<->server traffic with SSL is beyond me.

How to not use remote includes: don't use urls in include directives. Why you wouldn't want to do this however, is beyond me. It works great for network includes.
Kram

Post by Kram »

The main issue with the extended codes, is some older java clients do not suport them, and it really causes a problem when they are used. Take a look at jpilot for example, and what happens when it sees an & or an ~ for example. It thinks it is part of the users nick.
So, the problem isn't the actual modes, its the symbols.
It has been made clear, if I want a custom version, I should compile it
myself. I'll just stick to not using the windows version, and not allowing
it to link to my network, pretty simple in the end, isn't it?
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Kram wrote:Take a look at jpilot for example, and what happens when it sees an & or an ~ for example.
FYI: jpilot 2.7.2 and above supports & and ~ if you set it up correctly.
(Pay me R0.02 and I'll tell you how.)
null

Post by null »

Kram wrote:It is my understanding, if I want SSL, and ZIP links as well, it will not be
as simple as you make it out to sound.
Actually, it's quite simple.

OpenSSL support:
1. download Win32 OpenSSL v0.9.7d and install to C:\WINDOWS\OpenSSL
2. edit the OpenSSL configuration in Unreal3.2\makefile.win32 so that it looks like the following:
USE_SSL=1
OPENSSL_INC_DIR=C:\WINDOWS\OpenSSL\include
OPENSSL_LIB_DIR=C:\WINDOWS\OpenSSL\lib\VC
ZIPLINKS support
1. download zlib121.zip and zlib121dll.zip, extract both to C:\dev\zlib
2. edit the ZIPLINKS configuration in Unreal3.2\makefile.win32 so that it looks like the following:
USE_ZIPLINKS=1
ZLIB_INC_DIR=c:\dev\zlib
ZLIB_LIB_DIR=c:\dev\zlib\dll32
Compile Unreal3.2.

Simple, huh?