Unreal Autoconnecting with No Autoconnect in Block

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
mixx941

Unreal Autoconnecting with No Autoconnect in Block

Post by mixx941 »

Hi everyone. We're having some problems with Unreal not following what is in the config file. Just to keep things simple, I'll use an example from tonight:

Leaf A is connected to Hub A. Hub A goes down, and I am alarmed of this by monitoring software. I edit unrealircd.conf on Leaf A to remove the autoconnect to Hub A and enable autoconnect to Hub B. I rehash and it immediately autoconnects to Hub B like it's supposed to. However, it still continues trying to connect to Hub A even though autoconnect is now commented out. I rehash several times at this point, try a hash style comment instead of the usual "//"...still attempting. I even go so far as to completely remove the commented out autoconnect line and rehash several times....but it keeps going.

--- *** Global -- from leaf.a: No response from hub.a[x.x.x.x], closing link
[repeat indefinitely]

This causes a problem because Hub B is always supposed to be linked to Hub A, not a leaf to Hub A and Hub B at the same time because then traffic between the two hubs goes through that leaf instead of directly between the hubs. However, with Leaf A and Hub B trying to autoconnect to Hub A, who knows which one will get successfully connected when it comes back up...just whichever one gets there first based upon when Hub A comes back online.

I've had a bug report (0002836) explaining the same problems on three different servers, one of which even produced a crash from just relinking. It's been inactive since I posted the backtrace and a more detailed description in Feb, 2006. This was never a problem in 3.2.3.

Thanks in advance.

-Mark