necessary userland

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
resfilter

necessary userland

Post by resfilter »

i'm trying to build a minimal chrooted environment to run unrealircd in. i'm sure someone else must have done this at some point...

my question is, what userland tools and libaries are necessary to run unrealircd (without ssl or ziplinks)?

i have it working now with a fairly complete userland and set of libraries.

i tried to gather this information through systrace but failed. i planned to read through the source code and find out, but that's starting to seem like a bit much...
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

UnrealIRCd has a chrooting option itself... Take a look at include/config.h, so something like:
#define CHROOTDIR
#define IRC_UID 39
#define IRC_GID 39
(or whatever uid/gid's you use).

This way UnrealIRCd will chroot(), read the config, bind to listen ports, and then setuid()/setgid() etc. Also the necessary /dev directory and entries (like /dev/urandom) will be created automatically on startup.

I'm personally running the ircd chrooted like this (with all my users connected via SSL) and it works fine.
In some cases (if you use remote includes, and perhaps if your nameserver isn't 127.0.0.1.. I forgot) you also need to manually create a etc/ and etc/resolv.conf in order to get everything to work as expected.

Have fun.