Help!!Unrealircd 3.2.5(4 WINDOWS)

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
KLIK

Help!!Unrealircd 3.2.5(4 WINDOWS)

Post by KLIK »

Hi,
I'm A Newbie to the irc World.I'm going to make a Website fully Dedicated to chat.4 tht i need my own irc server (which i'll run from my home PC (windows XP) .I tried to make the server by reading Docs and FAQs but always getting some errors.I've been trying for this since last month.
Please i'll be really thankfull, if any 1 of U help me making my server.
:)

Regard's
SYED MUZAMMIL HUSSAIN

Post by SpaceDoG »

Have you tried using the binary distrobution which is precompiled and already set to run on windows?
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

It would also be very helpful if you were to post the errors that you're getting.
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

I think someone should say: An IRCd should not be run by someone who is new to the IRC world. Before running an IRCd, you should know how IRC works, some basic networking, have extended knowledge on your operating system, and it would also help if you had some experience being an oper on someone elses network.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Although others would say a great way to learn IRC is to jump in at the deep end with an IRC server for personal use only. And by doing that you can make mistakes and learn from them.
KLIK

Well Thank's

Post by KLIK »

Thank's 2 all of u 4 ur replies.Well i've been using IRC since 6 months its not tht i dnt know anything abt irc.I even have my own channels .But i'm new to irc server's.I'll be really greatfull if any one of u can give me a configuration settings (copy) which is running so tht i can just compare it with mine. :arrow:

Regard's
SYED MUZAMMIL HUSSAIN

Post by Syzop »

That is not how we work.

The reason we don't give out a completely working conf, and the reason we don't have configfile generators is as follows:
If people don't need to take any effort to understand their ircd config and can just "click and run" then they are guaranteed to get into trouble. Whenever they get an attack, whenever they need to change a setting, etc. they won't know what to do. By semi-forcing our users to read the configfile and make them semi-understand (lightly) what they are filling in you make them aware of at least some of the config basics before they have an ircd running and invite all their friends over.
It was before my time, but codemastr, stskeeps and others can probably tell you a lot more about this. 3.1.x had a config generator at first and this produced many many idiots that didn't have a clue what they were doing (yes more than now ;p).

I'll close this thread. I've also moved this to 'Unreal3.2 support' since that is what it is.

Read the docs, read the faq, search the forums, and if that still didn't help, ask a specific question about a problem with a specific error message or description etc etc.