/restart causes errors when the server starts up again

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Segosa

/restart causes errors when the server starts up again

Post by Segosa »

I am using the Windows version of Unreal3.2, and if I /restart, when the server is started again I get a MessageBox saying:

-
Usage: wircd [-h servername] [-p portnumber] [-x loglevel]
-

and then another:

-
UnrealIRCd has failed to initialize in InitwIRCD()
-

Anyone know why this happens...
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

No... I (nor codemastr AFAIK) was never able to reproduce this issue, tried both running as gui and as a service.

What do you use? GUI or service?
And how do you start unreal?

[note: actually this should go to bugs.*, but.. this is a weird thingy heh]
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Yeah, should be on bugs.*, but while it's hear, might as well ask, has anyone else been experiencing this? If so, do you have any more detailed steps on how to cause it?
-- codemastr
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

w00t

Post by w00t »

Tested on Windows XP, with and without SP1 with no such issues.
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]
Segosa

Post by Segosa »

I installed unreal3.2, and I unselected to start as a service. I didn't edit anything else, I have a shortcut on my desktop for if I want to start it (which points to wircd.exe), if I run from that, it runs fine. All I edited was the conf file which I took the example, copied and pasted it into unrealircd.conf and went through editing the bits necessary.

Perhaps if I knew what unreal actually did when you do /restart I'd be able to figure it out? do you think it might be something in the conf? when I /rehash it says there are no problems though, and I didn't configure it THAT much, mostly left the default values.

I'm going to replace the conf with a default one and see if that fixes it, I doubt it will mind..
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Would be very weird if it's related to your conf, but ah well... I never rule anything out :p

Are you able to reproduce this every time?

If you JUST started, got no other users/servers except yourself, and type '/restart' do you also get it?

I dunnow why I ask and how it could possible cause anything, but.. could you type 'unreal uninstall' (in your unreal directory), just to be sure to remove any old unreal service that might be there.

If it then still happends, and if it's not random but all the time reproducable (even on the just-started-thingy), then perhaps you could send your config to the coders mailinglist (with passwords removed/changed) [email addr here].
Segosa

Post by Segosa »

here's the deal, I can't forward ports, there's never been anyone on my IRC server apart from myself. I set this up so I could see what it's like opering and learn its commands for the future. The problem always reproduces and I've never had a previous installation of Unreal...
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Segosa, what version of Windows is it?
-- codemastr
Segosa

Post by Segosa »

Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 1
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Segosa: could you send the mail then? Then we can try to reproduce this with your config.
Segosa

Post by Segosa »

Sent.