Port Forwarding Help

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Panic36

Port Forwarding Help

Post by Panic36 »

Ok, the actual part of the port forwarding isn't my question... I've searched forums/google for my issue and most everyone says they are using DMZ, with their router, however I find this to be a very insecure way of running it... But heck maybe it's the only way? I'm confused...

Basically from what I've been noticing is this as follows

Client ---- > Server [Port 6660-6669]
Server ---> Client [Random Ports]

With this, it makes it almost impossible to port foudner the connections made the clients... I was wondering if I was missing a setting that sets a certain port for those connections...

Thank you for your help

PS: Sorry if this has been asked/answered , I have searched but failed to find what I was looking for.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Port forwarding is usually forwarding inbound connections. Eg. to allow users to connect to port 6667 on your IRCd you would forward port 6667 to the private IP of your computer running your IRCd. As for the clients ports usually with most routers outbound communications on all ports are allowed but since the connection is established from outside coming in that wont affect it anyway. So you only need to forward the ports your IRCd is listening on to allow people to connect. That way you dont have to use the insecure DMZ method.
Panic36

Post by Panic36 »

Thank you for your support,

What I've done is I've set in my route, for Inbound connections, Lan IP ( 192.168.0.2 ) Which is the box of the server. and allow all connections on ports 6660-6669, for that IP also redirects. Technically this should be easy, I've set up HL Servers, Apache Servers, and they all work fine with this method of inbound connection/direction Inbound IP binding, but some reason UnrealIrcd, it doesn't work....
gizmo

Post by gizmo »

Neither does mine, I have the port 6667 forwarded, tcp and udp and it won't allow incomming connections, I thought it may be a "block" I set wrong in the config file so I set the allow blocks to allow * and it still doesn't work......

Grumpy and confused. Gizmo

Thanks for any help :p
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Just a minor point you may have to check your firewall on the IRCd host because as far as that is concerned its an outside connection even if its being forwarded. So make sure your firewall allows outside connections to the relevent ports.
White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

try switching to the DMZ setting and testing it,
i know its very unsecure but in theory that sound work perfectly.

*have u disabled the firewall inside the router?
**if yes, it can still be stopping the connections - if the DMZ is actiavted it`ll bypass the fw.
i spend 4 hrs a day gaming and 14hrs on irc, for 5days a week, im not an addict :D