Unreal CPU Usage

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
sacred_atom

Unreal CPU Usage

Post by sacred_atom »

Hello, i'm running a network that has between 1-2 thousand users we have 5 leafs and 1 hub.

It seems as the more users connect to any of our leafs the more cpu usage unreal takes up heres a output of 1 of our leafs.

USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TT STAT STARTED TIME COMMAND
b9dd 11521 13.8 2.7 35040 27912 ?? S Sun07AM 551:05.34 ircd: tulip

as you can see a massive 13.8 cpu usage!!!
we have tried debugger via fresh installations commenting and uncommenting modules.

any ideas?
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

OK, I've never run UnrealIRCd in a production environment, but to me, 13.8% CPU usage with 2000 users makes sense to me. That's a lot of users for one server - just think of all the information that the server has to process.

Of course, this is all dependent on what CPU your server has. Consider 13% CPU usage for a Celeron 1.3Ghz and an Athlon X2 4400+ (or Opteron equivalent). I'd be far more concerned if it was chewing 13% of the faster processor.
sacred_atom

Post by sacred_atom »

I meant 1-2k users spread over 5 leafs this particular leaf with the 13.8cpu usage has 599 users on it currently
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

The biggest CPU eaters (this is just of the top of my head) are:
- spamfilter (this can really eat a lot, depending on your rules)
- ssl (if you have tens or hundreds of users)
- chan/usermode +G (though it has been improved a lot, if you are using the default rules, then probably not much impact)
- probably more.. I forgot.

I would suggest to (temporarely?) start with disabling all spamfilter rules and see if you see any change.
sacred_atom

Post by sacred_atom »

We have no spamfilters running or filtering
we have minimal users using ssl ( proberly under 50 )
i'd doubt if even 1 channel had mode +G
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

SSL.. under 50 global, or local?

What kind of CPU do you have? (type, mhz/ghz, ..)

Any 3rd party modules?

Any other unusual things you might have that other networks don't? Maybe they'll give a clue.
sacred_atom

Post by sacred_atom »

ssl under 50 global

cpu's between 2-3ghz

no 3rd party modules

we've tried clean installations many times and ircds run on different os's freebsd to linux*

i realy can't think of anything unusual we have.
White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

the spamfilter has a conf file for every server, so those will be at least being processed
-
but if you think about the amout of notices the server has to send out for clients connecting, disconnecting, nickname changes, then Qline conflicts and all those other notices - invisable to normal users but very heavy used - server bans, shuns and tempshuns are a massive problem if u have many of them!!!
i spend 4 hrs a day gaming and 14hrs on irc, for 5days a week, im not an addict :D