Own Computer - Couldn't resolve your hostname

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Casey

Own Computer - Couldn't resolve your hostname

Post by Casey »

I am testing out Unreal on me - 3.2.5

pretty much all the time it says Couldn't resolve your hostname and has only about twice been able to get the hostname

I am on a router and have opened ports and have connected in through proxies - socks4 - socks5 - with hostnames - and pretty much every time it says Couldn't resolve your hostname and has only found my own ISP hostname about twice only

both the DNS on Unreal and IPconfig do say 192.168.1.1 of the router

is this normal to Couldn't resolve your hostname for everything when you are running it on yourself ? --- which it did get my own ISP hostname only about twice

the router is a DrayTek 2500 - ADSL router
I am running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise
Matridom

Post by Matridom »

What i would *strongly* recommend is to NOT use the DNS of the router. I've found it, in general, to be very very flaky. Get the DNS servers of the ISP and hard code those into the unreal server system. At that point, everything should resolve fine.

Personaly, I run my unreal under linux, i have BINDS 9 installed and have the server loopback to itself for DNS resolution, I then have all my internal system resolve off the binds server, I've found DNS to be much more stable that way (my ISP's DNS tends to go down from time to time).
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Casey

Post by Casey »

have put in the ISP DNS in the router and Unreal and IPconfig both say the ISP DNS

is getting the hostname now and have tried a proxy and it got the hostname of the proxy too

Thank You
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: Own Computer - Couldn't resolve your hostname

Post by Stealth »

Casey wrote:both the DNS on Unreal and IPconfig do say 192.168.1.1 of the router
It is perfectly normal for the server to say your IP is 192.168.1.1 when connecting from inside your network. This is something you will need to live with, unless you create a DNS server and give it a name.
Casey

Post by Casey »

Connecting in on the Open Ports doing /server myisp.hostname - IPaddress -- was not getting the hostname - only shows the IP address, which only about twice it did get the hostname of the ISP. And connecting in on proxies with hostnames was not getting the hostname at all on them.

And have put the ISP DNS into the Router and it is now getting the hostnames.

When you connect to the Server from inside the Router -- /server your.computer's.IPaddress -- that is normal for the Server to say your IP address of your computer.

On the DrayTek Vigor 2500 ADSL Router - it is DNS Server IP address - Force DNS manual setting where you put in the Primary DNS IP and Secondary DNS IP of your ISP --- not having the ISP DNS - the Router uses its own IP address 192.168.1.1 for the DNS which Unreal and IPconfig were saying the Router's DNS 192.168.1.1 IP address. And now with the ISP DNS in the Router - Unreal and IPconfig are now saying the ISP DNS IP address
paradoxpotc

Same problem

Post by paradoxpotc »

Get the DNS servers of the ISP and hard code those into the unreal server system. At that point, everything should resolve fine.
i hav da same kind of problem.....can u explain the process a bit more clearly.....it wud b of great help.......
Casey

Post by Casey »

I haven't put the DNS into the unrealircd.conf

should probably be this I guess - to add a second or so nameserver with the DNS IP address --- mine is just 127.0.0.1 and is getting the hostnames now without having the DNS address in the unrealircd.conf

/* Server specific configuration */

set {
kline-address "set.this.email";
modes-on-connect "+ixw";
modes-on-oper "+xwgs";
oper-auto-join "#opers";
dns {
nameserver 127.0.0.1;
nameserver 123.123.123.123;
nameserver 456.456.456.456;
timeout 2s;
retries 2;
};
options {
hide-ulines;
/* You can enable ident checking here if you want */
/* identd-check; */
show-connect-info;
};
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Unreal ignores the DNS settings, it gets all the DNS info from the OS. You can also only specify 1 DNS nameserver in the conf (even though it does not work). The timeout and retries settings might be used by Unreal, but I am not sure on that.
paradoxpotc

Post by paradoxpotc »

well how can solve this problem then......i m runnin unreal 3.2.5 on win xp......

its configured and runs....but i cant connect 2 it using mirc(hosts unresolved)......and when i use
/dns irc.myserver.com.......says no dns........

will u pls help me?
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

You must own myserver.com, and set up the proper DNS for it...
Casey

Post by Casey »

I will be starting the Server later on -- am playing with it on me

DNS says no DNS -- The Domain needs to be registered to have a DNS record for it --- don't know of doing your own DNS Server and Domains yourself

for example Casey-IRC.net

create a subdomain of irc.Casey-IRC.net

and then forward the DNS of the subdomain irc.Casey-IRC.net to the IP address of the IRC Server and when you do /server irc.Casey-IRC.net it should connect into the Server

This is on a Domain Name place who does Domain Names and Web Hosting