Problem linking leaf to hub

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
I Sing The Body Electric

Problem linking leaf to hub

Post by I Sing The Body Electric »

Hello,

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me out with two problems in the configs. I've been searching from google and through the forums but Im still not understanding what I'm doing wrong. we had four servers linked together, however each server was complied as a 'hub' from what I have read I don't think our configs are correct, but they would link together. After reading some of the information someone said all of the other servers would have to be complied as a leaf. I have recomplied the other servers as a leaf now but we have a error. ( Link servername.1 cancelled, is Non-Hub but introduced Leaf ). If I am understanding this correctly the first 'hub' will be the server to hold the IRCd services and link to the second 'hub' and from then to a leaf 3 and 4. The second thing after fixing the link and class blocks would be to set up the network so when a one of the hubs or leafs becomes full it will auto direct users to a next server in the link.

I have looked at tha documentation but again I am having a difficult time understanding what the problem is. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks in advanced.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Firstly there is nothing wrong with compiling UnrealIRCd as a hub even if it's only going to be a leaf. So you didn't have to recompile your leafs. Also the definition of a hub is a server with other servers connected to it.

Secondly redirecting a user when a server is full is pretty simple but only works automatically for certains IRC clients, for the rest they get a message telling them to reconnect to the specified server instead. To see how have a look at the redirect-server and redirect-port parameters of the Allow block: http://www.vulnscan.org/UnrealIRCd/unre ... allowblock What they do is if the class the allow block is set to put its users in is full it sends the redirect message otherwise it just works as normal.
White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

do you have any errors when u /rehash?
did u change the l;ink blocks from hub to leaf;?
i spend 4 hrs a day gaming and 14hrs on irc, for 5days a week, im not an addict :D
I Sing The Body Electric

Post by I Sing The Body Electric »

Sorry about the delay and thank you for your reply.

I did get an error when rehashing, It said that Link mynetwork.server1 cancelled, is Non-Hub but introduced Leaf mainserver.something.net I don't mean to seem like a id10t but I did read the documentation but I'm still not clear.

If a leaf can only have one server connected to it. I thought it would have worked correctly if each leaf connected to the 'main' server and the main server would comfortably run the services and the other links. However the only way I could get anything to link was to have all of the configs set to a 'hub'. Maybe I'm not understanding the complete difference between a hub and a leaf. I've set everything back to hub so we could at least link together.

I did have the server re-direct working when the class is full. but it worked for only [Localnetwork] I tested it by setting the class to only have 1 connection through localnetwork and have it re-direct to a nother server.
But now it seems when some people from the outside world connect it can not 'see' the difference between [clients] and [localnetwork]

I can post the blocks if it would help. And again, thank you for your time.