Automatic startup?

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
dan_seguin90

Automatic startup?

Post by dan_seguin90 »

Is tehre a way to get UNrealircd 3.2.5 to start automatically upon starting of teh computer??
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Can we have a little more information like which Operating System are you using?
dan_seguin90

Post by dan_seguin90 »

Fedora core 5 is what im running
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Then youll probably want to look into using crontab and the cron scripts provided in the Unreal3.2/ircdcron/ directory.
dan_seguin90

Post by dan_seguin90 »

ye okk use that but how do i use that./....... im kinda new i need sum level of detail.
Grunt

Re: Automatic startup?

Post by Grunt »

dan_seguin90 wrote:Is tehre a way to get UNrealircd 3.2.5 to start automatically upon starting of teh computer??
Yes. (And that IS the correct answer to your question.)

If you asked how to do it, i'd tell you:
Go to /etc/rc.d and create an executable shell script that will start your UnrealIRCd. And you're done.
Computers are machines that cause trouble you wouldn't normally have if you wouldn't have a computer.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

The only thing i have to say about Grunt's sollution is that it starts UnrealIRCd as root which is strongly advised against. That doesnt however mean it wont work because if you provide the correct path it should work.

As for setting up your crontab (if you can) the first thing youll need to do is edit ircdchk at /path/to/ircdcron/ircdchk so that the paths to the ircd excutable and to the ircd.pid file are correct.

The next step is to use "crontab -e" and add the line found in ircd.cron at /path/to/ircdcron/ircd.cron and make sure the path in that line is the correct path to the ircdchk file.