Win32 Compiling with freebee tools, errors up

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
nate

Win32 Compiling with freebee tools, errors up

Post by nate »

So, basically I google searched, and I forum searched, and with the forum search I found one topic matching the exact issue I had, of which they described some sort of self found workaround but it did not work for me.

Basically I'm trying to compile Unreal mainly so I can use it to test with some modules (make DLL modules for other servers on the network).

In short, I'm not using the things from the 'Compiling Win32' workup on the vulnscan site, simply because the links to the suggested 'Free' utilities have changed on the MS website to more recent updated utilities, which are Visual Studio Express 2005 and 'Windows® Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK'

Basically no matter what I do, I get the following:

Code: Select all

Y:\Development\irc\Unreal3.2.5\Unreal3.2>nmake -f makefile.win32

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

cl src/win32/config.c
Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 14.00.50727.42 for 80x86

config.c
src/win32/config.c(5) : warning C4996: 'fopen' was declared deprecated
        Y:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\INCLUDE\stdio.h(234) : see decl
aration of 'fopen'
        Message: 'This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using fopen_
s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE. See online help
 for details.'
src/win32/config.c(32) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated
        Y:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\INCLUDE\string.h(73) : see decl
aration of 'strcpy'
        Message: 'This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using strcpy
_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE. See online hel
p for details.'
src/win32/config.c(37) : warning C4996: 'fopen' was declared deprecated
aration of 'fopen'
s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE. See online help
 for details.'
src/win32/config.c(53) : warning C4996: 'fopen' was declared deprecated
aration of 'fopen'
 for details.'
src/win32/config.c(56) : warning C4996: 'fopen' was declared deprecated
aration of 'fopen'
 for details.'
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 8.00.50727.42

/out:config.exe
config.obj
        cl /MD /Zi    /J /I ./INCLUDE /I ./INCLUDE/WIN32/ARES /Fosrc/ /nologo
 /D FD_SETSIZE=16384   /D NOSPOOF=1 /c /D _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE /D _USE_32BIT
_TIME_T src/win32/unreal.c
unreal.c
src/win32/unreal.c(20) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h
': No such file or directory
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"Y:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\cl.EXE
"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
Basically the closest thing I could find to matching exactly what I'm having is This topic.

I couldn't get the 'Workaround' to work at all myself, I basically got something equivalent to their second error at least when I tried to use it to compile a module.

Code: Select all

cl /LDd /MD /Zi    /J /Fesrc/modules/  /Fosrc/modules/ /nologo    /I ./I
NCLUDE /D  DYNAMIC_LINKING /D NOSPOOF /D MODULE_COMPILE /D _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPREC
ATE /D _USE_32BIT_TIME_T src/modules/m_killprotect.c /link /def:src/modules/modu
le.def wircd.lib         /OUT:src/modules/m_killprotect.dll
'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x1'
Stop.
Any ideas offhand, or at least a resource point where I could get the linked suggested free utilities from the compiling_win32 guide, but couldn't find them after some (I admit basic) google searching.
wax

Post by wax »

for 2-nd example you must do it from VS .net command promt.
for 1-st - take version from latest CVS or wait few weeks to release 3.2.6
nate

Post by nate »

Er? I don't get what you mean.

I DID use the Visual Studio command prompt, however as I said if you would read the full post, I have the Visual Studio 2005 Express (free tool), not the .NET Studio since I don't have the money to buy that.

What does grabbing the latest CVS have to do with anything? I don't care to have to update ALL my servers just to match CVS, nor all the modules, as all I need to do is compile a few window dll's for a single server.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

A missing windows.h indicates it's not finding the platform SDK. That's all I can tell :P
nate

Post by nate »

Well thats what that one topic I linked to said too basically, but he said something about modifying the path environments to point to the SDK environment, but didn't work for me and thats when I got the "NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x1'" error o.O;