The /NAMES command doesn't works as expected

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
neokod

The /NAMES command doesn't works as expected

Post by neokod »

Hi,

I'm new with UnrealIRCd, thanks a lots for this great program.

When I run the command "/NAMES #channel", this doesn't show peoples if the current user isn't into this #channel.

The "/NAMES" command return an empty list too.

There is an option in the unrealIRCd conf to change ?

Thanks a lots.
SpaceDoG

Post by SpaceDoG »

This command will only work while you are an oper to see rooms that are +p/s. If you are not an oper and you are trying to list one of those rooms it won't work.
neokod

Post by neokod »

Thanks for the answer,

Is this behaviour is specific to UnrealIRCd ?

From the RFC 1459 about the /NAMES command :
By using the NAMES command, a user can list all nicknames that are visible to them on any channel that they can see. Channel names which they can see are those which aren't private (+p) or secret (+s) or those which they are actually on. The <channel> parameter specifies which channel(s) to return information about if valid. There is no error reply for bad channel names.

If no <channel> parameter is given, a list of all channels and their occupants is returned. At the end of this list, a list of users who are visible but either not on any channel or not on a visible channel are listed as being on `channel' "*".
May be I haven't well understood this part because of my english knowledge, but if the channel is not private and not secret, this names should be returned even if the user isn't into this channel, am I wrong ?
SpaceDoG

Post by SpaceDoG »

That's correct but if your server is set to give everyone +i on connect then you won't see anyone in any public channel.
neokod

Post by neokod »

Ok, I have keep the default config, so I don't think the channels mode are set on invited by default.

May be by default the channels are +p (private mode) but I doubt..
I'll investigate, there is may be an option in the unrealircd.conf ..

Thanks
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

He meant user mode +i not channel mode +i, the purpose of user mode +i is it hides users from the responses of commands such as /who and /names unless the user is in the same channel as you.
neokod

Post by neokod »

ok, thanks for theses precisions.

I have read the UnrealIRCd docs but not found any answers for this problem.

So just to be clear, there is a solution to all users connected on the IRC server to get the list of users of all public channels ?

Currently, I have a default config, if a standard users connect on the IRC (no channel joined) and type "/NAMES #channel" this don't return anything.. (and the channel is not private, not secret, and users of this channels aren't invisible).

Thanks in advance.
neokod

Post by neokod »

The server seems to set +i on users by default.

This is why this problem occured.

Thanks for your help !
medice

Post by medice »

if not the server - most clients are configured, to set +i on connect
greets
/medice
neokod

Post by neokod »

Yes I have this that point, but it's for a closed IRC network with a specific client created for this.

Thanks