Default ctcp version replies of bots/clients

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
tomaxuser

Default ctcp version replies of bots/clients

Post by tomaxuser »

Hi.

I want to block bots by ban version, but I've been unable to find some list of common ctcp version replies by bots. Can somebody list common ones?

And I think, bot's reply can be changed. Am I right?

Thanks.
Oyarsa

Post by Oyarsa »

The CTCP version reply of a bot depends on what the bot was written in. It could be a bot written with mIRC scripting language. This is very common so the version reply would be that of mIRC like many of the users you may have.

It could have no version reply at all. This is a common setting in some IRC clients not to reply to the CTCP version request. So if this was used as the guideline, then again you may ban some legit users and not bots.

And lastly, there are ways of changing the CTCP version reply on any client to anything that the person wants it to display. So if a user discovers you are block by version reply all they have to do is change it to something else that isnt being blocked.
tomaxuser

Post by tomaxuser »

I didn't know, that bots can be created using mIRC. So I'll better won't block users matching bot-specific ctcp version. And has any sense at least blocking of version matching mask *bot*. Even if they might change it.
SpaceDoG

Post by SpaceDoG »

At present there is no way to ban using ctcp versions and it is strongly not recommended. Most bots and clients can mimic a CTCP version or change their version every time. Also versions are not mandated. If a legitimate user decides to disable CTCP replies and you're banning for a lack of CTCP you'll end up banning legitimate users and killing your user base. I do recommend that you turn on the anti-spoof (by recompiling) as it will cut down 99% of your bots that are attacking the server(s).