Only allow certain connections

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
JimmyBoom

Re: Only allow certain connections

Post by JimmyBoom »

Jobe1986 wrote:And on that note, i've had IP's that UnrealIRCd on more then one network could NOT resolve, but at least one of the boxes that was running one of those servers CAN resolve it with the command line "host" command.
How do you mean?

But i think it's strange it cannot resolve it, but mIRC can.
nate

Post by nate »

Just sorta wanna inject my opinion here...

I've seen bots that come from .nl domains before just as a note, so don't expect this will necessarily solve your problem 100% : P

You may more accurately wish to look into things such as the antirandom module, and at least setup a DNSBL maybe, as those will assist some, just make sure you read the documentation/readme obviously for those things so you know how to work them : P
JimmyBoom

Post by JimmyBoom »

NBishop wrote:Just sorta wanna inject my opinion here...

I've seen bots that come from .nl domains before just as a note, so don't expect this will necessarily solve your problem 100% : P

You may more accurately wish to look into things such as the antirandom module, and at least setup a DNSBL maybe, as those will assist some, just make sure you read the documentation/readme obviously for those things so you know how to work them : P
Yes, i know, but there are very few bots from .nl domains.
I've tested the server with a botflood from myself and nothing came through.

But i think i'm gonna look for the anti-random module.
But this is a good solution because my server isn't international only dutch and belgium people.

But a problem if unreal can't resolve a IP. -_-'
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

It's simple to see what IPs belong to what countries...

With each user that connects with a .nl or .be address, go to http://www.dnsstuff.com and enter the IP into IP information. That will give you details such as the CIDR subnet or IP range for that ISP. You can then take this information and create allow blocks for only .nl and .be IPs.

You can also WHOIS an IP directly from a shell command line, by using: whois IP
JimmyBoom

Post by JimmyBoom »

Stealth wrote:It's simple to see what IPs belong to what countries...

With each user that connects with a .nl or .be address, go to http://www.dnsstuff.com and enter the IP into IP information. That will give you details such as the CIDR subnet or IP range for that ISP. You can then take this information and create allow blocks for only .nl and .be IPs.

You can also WHOIS an IP directly from a shell command line, by using: whois IP
Hm, thanks for that site, this is very usefull i just have to get the range off every ISP from the netherlands and add them in my allow block.