cannot connect to server

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
TheTitans

cannot connect to server

Post by TheTitans »

Hi,
I have set up a IRC server on my Windows XP computer, but I am having a bit of a problem with it. I can connect to my server fine using the 127.0.0.1 address that was set in unrealircd.conf. However, no one else can connect to my server when they type in the address (irc.xxxx.net). What do I have to do to get people to connect?
nate

Re: cannot connect to server

Post by nate »

Make sure you've opened the ports in either your local firewall or your hardware/router firewall, or at least open the ports locally and forward them properly from the router as thats the general issue.
TheTitans

Post by TheTitans »

[20:23:53] *** Creating connection "irc.xxxx.net:6667"
[20:23:56] *** Failure resolving "irc.xxxx.net"!
[20:23:56] *** Error while connecting (Error Code: 11001). Disconnecting.

Does that error message relate to router/firewall problems? I did forward ports 6660 to 7000, and I do have a static IP set up. I guess it could be a problem with Zone Alarm...
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Yeah, you will probably need to open the ports up in ZoneAlarm too. Sadly I dont know how to do that myself, but im sure there is someone with ZoneAlarm experiance who does know.
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
SpaceDoG

Post by SpaceDoG »

It sounds more like a DNS issue. A "failure resolving" means that it couldn't find the specified domain name/subdomain name.