IRC?

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Ant59

IRC?

Post by Ant59 »

I am completely new to IRC. I have a website and want to open a web-based chat room on it. I thought IRC would be the best option. I found this site, but don't have a clue what anything says. Could any one point me in the right direction please?
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: IRC?

Post by Stealth »

If you're new to IRC, then running a server for clients on your website is not the best option.

The best option would be to ask around on small networks to see if the admins wouldn't mind you running a channel for your website, and then getting a free java IRC client to connect to their server and go to your own channel. Most admins wouldn't mind the added userbase, but others might object. A free and easy to set up java IRC client is pjirc. Once you have the info needed to connect to a network, simply follow the readme for pjirc's configuration and the options you would like to have.

Another option would be to get ConferenceRoom's backpack, which is an entirely plug-and-play applet for the Webmaster network (irc.webchat.org). All you need to do is register a nick and channel on the WebChat network, or find a channel that already exists (like #teenchatz), then visit the URL and follow the directions for adding the applet to your site.
Casper

Post by Casper »

PM me if you like Stealths idea: I think we could manage something here :)
Ex Network-Administrator
Ant59

Post by Ant59 »

I would really like something that I could integrate with my current user database, so that when a logged-in user goes to the chat page, they'll be logged in on the client already.
Ant59

Post by Ant59 »

I found a webhost that provides Jabber support, would this be suitable?
Casper

Post by Casper »

That's possible. We can even the host the Java applet for you :)
Ex Network-Administrator