Question about prefix ~ and &

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
MADxHAWK

Question about prefix ~ and &

Post by MADxHAWK »

Hi there,

many people ask about to change the prefix from ~ and & to * and ! or others and always get the standart answer:
This is impossible you cant do this and we wont support it.

My Question now is WHY ?
There are many networks using * and ! instead of ~ and & for example the german network insiderZ. On there webpage they say thanks to the unreal development team for help with changing the prefixes.

So pleas explain why it wont be possible to do this and why you wont help with that ?

Greetz

MADxHAWK
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: Question about prefix ~ and &

Post by Stealth »

This is because there is no other character that is not used in identifying users with the IRC protocol. Most people like them changed to ! and ^, but ! is used to separate nick and user (such would break NAMES replies), and ^ may be used as the first character in a nick (so people would be able to spoof status). Also, * is used as a wildcard character, as with ?, so they may not be used either.
MADxHAWK

Post by MADxHAWK »

Hi,

ok thats look like a good reason but still dosnt explain why there are some networks using * and ! and it works fine. And it still doesnt explain why those networks thanks the unreal dev.team for the help with that feature.

for me it looks like that there is a way to change the prefix but the dev team dont want to tell how for some reason i dont even guess.

Greetz

MADxHAWK
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

The Unreal team has never helped anyone change their channel prefixes
MADxHAWK

Post by MADxHAWK »

Seit Anfang 2003 können wir ein sehr stabiles Netzwerk vorweisen. Wir möchten auch hier dem Unreal Development Team an dieser Stelle danken, die eng mit dem insiderZ.DE Netzwerk zusammen gearbeitet und eine spezielle IRC-Server Version für uns entwickelt haben.
Since 2003 we got a very stable network. At this place we would like to thank the Unreal Development Team who helped us and created a special version of the irc server for us.

the original text can also be found here

This network is using the prefixes * for founder and ! for protected.

So why they say thanks for a special irc serverversion if the unreal team never created one ??
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

No clue, but I know we didn't. I have been with the Unreal team since before the prefixes were added
MADxHAWK

Post by MADxHAWK »

Hi

hmm i think thats a very confusing think isnt it ?

ok nevermind thanks for the answers :))

Greetz
MADxHAWK
santa2452

Post by santa2452 »

the main reason why unreal doesnt support prefix changes is because it requires modifing the sorce code which as states all over unreal is unsupported. that is the best answer i can give because i dont know why that network is saying they had the help of unreal or why unreal says it is impossble, but in most posts asking this the answer is the same it is impossible with out modifing the sorce code which would then be unsupported.