mode to forbid private messages outside room ?

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
donald

mode to forbid private messages outside room ?

Post by donald »

Hi

Please is there a mode or anyway to prevent users outside a room to send private messages to other users ?

I have an irc server with only one room. some users have fun coming on the server and annoying chatters. I would like to enable private queries ONLY for users inside the room, is there anyay to do so please ?

I precise that annoyers use multiple proxies so it's almost impossible to gline them, while it's a lot easier to ban them from the room.

If not possible, which ircd would allow that function ?

thanks
Casper

Re: mode to forbid private messages outside room ?

Post by Casper »

Google or search the forums for 'bopm'. :)

It's a robot that checks some ports and blacklists for proxies. Should work for you :)
Ex Network-Administrator
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Along with a BOPM make sure you have "i" in set::modes-on-connect. Usermode +i makes it so someone cannot come online and /WHO * to get a list of users
zEkE

Post by zEkE »

Outside of these, there is no mode or functionality to completely prevent users private messaging each other based on which channels they are, or are not in.

You may consider usermode +R, which will only allow users with this mode to receive private messages from registered users. The more extreme approach would be usermode +D, provided by the privdeaf module, which will prevent receiving any private messages at all, except from IRCOps and Services
NetAdmin - irc.unitedchristianchat.net
http://www2.i-al.net/ircbots/
donald

Post by donald »

ok it's not really possible thanks
zEkE

Post by zEkE »

donald wrote:Hi

Please is there a mode or anyway to prevent users outside a room to send private messages to other users ?
No, there is not.
donald wrote:I have an irc server with only one room. some users have fun coming on the server and annoying chatters. I would like to enable private queries ONLY for users inside the room, is there anyay to do so please ?
No, there is not. Privdeaf with some clever configuration could help, but it would be one-way, and it wouldn't assist the problem in this instance, as it would prevent the problem users receiving messages. It wouldn't prevent them from sending messages, which appears to be your problem. Usermode +R, again with clever configuration could also help, but it would require all your users to be registered with a Nick registration service attached to the server, and assumes that the problem users aren't, won't, and can't register also. So again, no, there is not.
donald wrote:I precise that annoyers use multiple proxies so it's almost impossible to gline them, while it's a lot easier to ban them from the room.
BOPM would assist in removing the proxy users, and make the problem easier to handle from a G:Lining perspective. If they make it to the room, there isn't a huge difference command-wise between banning from the room and K/G:lining from the server. For a one-channel server, I wouldn't see much harm in giving server access in addition to channel access?
donald wrote:If not possible, which ircd would allow that function ?

thanks
I'm not aware of any that would provide this. InspIRCd may, but I doubt it.
NetAdmin - irc.unitedchristianchat.net
http://www2.i-al.net/ircbots/