Is IRC for me? That is, can it do what I need?

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
BobbyWatson

Is IRC for me? That is, can it do what I need?

Post by BobbyWatson »

I run a site for an old cd-rom game. Typically, a site would provide a place for gamers to chat and optionally launch their game - like the internet gaming zone used to do. Times change, however, and relying on other game sites to host a friendly place is turning out to be harder than one would think. So, I've been reading up on chats and find myself looking at IRC, but there's an overwhelming amount of ground to cover for the uninitiated. I hope you won't begrudge me a few questions.

Can an IRC server be set up as standalone? That is, not become part of a larger network. Keep it closed-circuit, so to speak. I'd like to set up something accessible only from my site, and not have to worry about non-gamers for whatever they may or may not do.

How does a client program cooperate/communicate with a server? I mean, I'd like to make a client program that is user-friendly to our gamers; something that provides a direct line in to my server. Is there a set of codes available I could use for programming?

Is this sort of configuration already being done somewhere? Can UnrealIRCd be used in this manner?

It's premature to ask about launching a game on client computers, so best leave that for another day.

Thanks for your insights.
Casper

Re: Is IRC for me? That is, can it do what I need?

Post by Casper »

Wow, lots of questions. I'll just try to answer them ;)

Yes an IRC server can operate on 'stand-alone' basis, as single (client)server. It would however be a good idea to look deeper into services etc, otherwise your users as example would not be able to register their nicknames or set up channels and nor can 'operate' them in an easy way. Something that is important for a starter. You could take a look at Anope.org.

There are several IRC clients, for Windows mIRC, for Mac OS X-Chat Aqua (Sorry, don't know the link, Google will help you) and so on. I would recommend using on of the those programms as an admin or channel operator, as I think it makes life a bit easier. For your users you could set up a webchat (some sort of chatclient build into a webpage). They just fill out their nickname and click on the button "Start chatting" for example and they enter the chatroom. Also, there are a lot ways to do this, via Java (pjIRC or jPilot) or via CGI:IRC. It really just a matter of taste (and perhaps how easy it is to set up...). My personal favorite is pjIRC. ;)

Every server has it's own specifications and therefore you'll need to just configure your own IRCd, with the options that fits your needs in the best way. No one else can do that for you. So there's no 'ready-to-go' configfile. :)

I think if you run an old game and have no experience at all on IRC, it probably would be a better idea to just get familiar with IRC first (join a netwerk, get to know people talk and ask), maybe just let your gamers chat somewhere at a place that already exists (make sure you trust the admins!) and then you may get to learn the basics of IRC, the features and the limitations.

You may join my network, if you'd like to try things out, no problemo. You'll find the address in the signature! (The site is being translated into English as well, so please be patient in the meanwhile, haha! If have a 'ready to go' link for you to access the chat: *CLICK*)

If you have any questions to ask, feel free to leave them behind here or on IRC!
Ex Network-Administrator