Help If Possible

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
MagicDragon

Help If Possible

Post by MagicDragon »

hi

how can i remove the /who command or make it so only ircops can see it

thanks
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: Help If Possible

Post by Stealth »

Why would you want to remove WHO?

I can tell you why you don't: removing WHO (or making it oper-only) would break clients. Many clients rely on WHO to get information about users in channels they join. Without WHO they may never sync properly to channels when they join, leaving them in a half-functional state. Is that something you would want?
MagicDragon

Post by MagicDragon »

i have neostats

when u do a /who in status it shows all bots chanserv etc and all neostats bots, just a pain tis all, just sick of seeing all the bots aswell as chatters
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

MagicDragon wrote:i have neostats

when u do a /who in status it shows all bots chanserv etc and all neostats bots, just a pain tis all, just sick of seeing all the bots aswell as chatters
Then the suggestion there would be to contact the developers of the services package you use and suggest bots be given user mode +i.
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
Izv143

Post by Izv143 »

But is it possible to make that command only for ircop and higher , or at least change some informations like host, server where connected etc
Casper

Post by Casper »

/map will do that same thing. Making such things invisible to your users will give you a false sense of security. Look for the section "Maps/Links".

There's no point in hiding such things. If someone wants to find out such information, he or she is possible to discover it anyway. Good example would be when servers split. :)
Ex Network-Administrator
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

The only people who appear in /WHO are people with whom you are in the same channel with, and people who are not invisible (don't have user mode +i). For the latter, simply change the default user mode in the config to +i (via set::modes-on-connect, which is pretty standard), and - as others said - configure the services bots to set themselves +i if you want that (which is usually illogical, as you want users to use services, and hiding them makes little sense then).
As for the rest, use cloaking if you want to hide hosts, and see Casper's answer :)
Izv143

Post by Izv143 »

I know what do you guys mean, I have been asked by someone if is possible to do it. All he is after when someone does command /who nickname or /who #channel , he wants to hide on which server user is connected. If you ask why he wants it I don't know :)
/who nickname
#channel ident user-host.com irc.server.com Real name H* 0 NickName

He wants to hide red part or make it fake, any chance to do it
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

FAQ:Other - I would like to restrict /map and /links (which is actually about hiding server names)
As for fake server names, you can give a server any hostname you like in the me { } block (weird characters excluded ;p), though I wouldn't recommend it for client servers as it will lead to problems when they try to reconnect (they try to resolve the servername, which might not work if the server is called 'i.am.a.stupid.server')... but for hubs and services servers it's no problem, in fact we generally recommend to use a hostname that does not resolve to an ip, see the link linked from the previously mentioned faq item: Docs: Denial of Service attacks (DoS) [or: how to protect my hub].