Blocking Commands

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Ditz

Blocking Commands

Post by Ditz »

I need to block commands, e.g like /who

I need it not working or it comes up with a message and logs the IP. Thanks :)
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: Blocking Commands

Post by Stealth »

Why do you need such?

Seems pretty odd you'd want it to log the IP of people who try to WHO...
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Not to mention many clients including xchat issue a /who automatically to get information about channels when you join.

As long as modes-on-connect has "i" included, then unless a user who issues /who joins a channel, that user will see very few users. On average the most users outside of channels will see is services bots, and any user without user mode +i. Which in the end doesnt leave much use for abuse.
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

Force umode +i, restrict umode i and there is even a patch I have here someplace that even sets services bot +i on anope 1.8 so /who would really only be affective for oper.

I'll share the patch when I find it, keep in mind it'll void your anope support though.
Izv143

Post by Izv143 »

I have one question which could be related to this one. First I apologize if I had to open new thread and post the question but anyway I'll ask in here :)
Spammers are users who does to many times whois on others and if is there some way to stop those who does whois very often, like disconnect them from server or something like that. Is there some module or something could be done in conf.file to do this?
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Izv143 wrote:I have one question which could be related to this one. First I apologize if I had to open new thread and post the question but anyway I'll ask in here :)
Spammers are users who does to many times whois on others and if is there some way to stop those who does whois very often, like disconnect them from server or something like that. Is there some module or something could be done in conf.file to do this?
The simpler solution is to set your mode -W, then the ONLY person being flooded by repeated WHOIS' is the person trying to annoy you with it.
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

blocking/restricting /whois isn't the answer. That will restrict non-abusive users and does nothing to the spammers. It's better to just use the already existing spam filter. After all that is why it was created and why it's called a *SPAM* filter.

Jobe is correct, without umode W people don't know they are being /whois'ed in the first place. if you have done your job as an admin, then sendQ/recvQ is set properly and your so called "attackers" will flood themselves off and when you notice this, gline them. All of which can be handled using already existing features. It simply requires admins that know how IRC works and heaven forbid opers to actually do their job.

Automation is cool, but nothing beats good old fashioned manual labor.