new to ircd ~wanting to make a special web site.

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
paulfrottawa

new to ircd ~wanting to make a special web site.

Post by paulfrottawa »

Hello
I've been playing with computers for years but have really never use ircd. My web-space provider has ircd accounts and I read up on ircd a bit and signed on. Because I thought it would fit into my web-dream. Now I don't know about that any longer but will bring it up in another thread.

Anyways after signing on for an ircd account I was surprise that the only info about my new IRCD account was an IP. They say I have a shell and figure it out (sort of). Anyways I left a remark on their forums and said just that (almost). Then the admin replied quickly to the post and said I have to install my own ircd and services with my shell.

The first on his list was this site. Before that I was trying to figure out how IRCD works with irc in /usr/ports/ Freebsd. That one is broken or something.

Anyways I'm going to work and will be back in 3 hrs. I'm hoping someone might help me install it on to my web-space soon enough. So far I read about one and a half times what I need to know.
katsklaw

Re: new to ircd ~wanting to make a special web site.

Post by katsklaw »

I'm going to be forthcoming here. It's far better for you to just use someone else's IRC Network for your chat back end. IRC Administration isn't that easy and really confuses those new to IRC, as it sound you are. Please save yourself the headache and use someone else's network for this. You can see a list of networks at either searchirc or netsplit.

I'm not sure what you read one and a half times, but it can take hours or even days for new users to install an ircd because the subject can't be summed up in a single document. Then there is configuration beyond the basics and not to mention managing the network including IRC Security, dealing with attackers and users of all kinds. It's a never ending battle to run a good network, even as a backend. Please heed my advice.
paulfrottawa

Post by paulfrottawa »

I'm not sure what you read one and a half times, but it can take hours or even days for new users to install an ircd because the subject can't be summed up in a single document. Then there is configuration beyond the basics and not to mention managing the network including IRC Security, dealing with attackers and users of all kinds. It's a never ending battle to run a good network, even as a backend. Please heed my advice.
I plan to run it standalone
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

standalone versus linked network doesn't matter. As long as you allow outside connections to the irc server, you'll have all the issues I mentioned.

Good Luck on your website. :D
paulfrottawa

Post by paulfrottawa »

Ya I see what you mean a bit. I think I meant a leaf (now I know what a leaf is). If I'm wrong couldn't I just use a password.

Anyways the unreal is installed and up but I turned it off for now.

Thanks for your concern I'll always keep that in mind that I just might be better without it.

But for now if I need it its there.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

Please understand I'm not trying to scare you away from IRC or anything like that. I just know from experience that IRC isn't as easy as many people think it is and some find it completely confusing.

I'm just simply suggesting that it may be in your best interest to let experienced admins handle the headaches, at least until you are more familiar with it. If you like, tell me some of the features or things you'd like for your website and I may be able to recommend a few existing server for you to check out. Worst that will happen is you don't find any you like.

Again, good luck!