Private messages aliases (nick aliases for services)

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
AxelTerizaki

Private messages aliases (nick aliases for services)

Post by AxelTerizaki »

Hello.

I recently upgraded Anope 1.8 to 1.9 due to security issues, and they thought it was a good idea to pull off the NickAliases configuration statements. So, for those who have replaced Nickserv with other nicks like "Pseudoserv" for example, users with autologin commands like "/msg nickserv identify password" are not working anymore.

Anope thinks these aliases should be configured on the IRCD end, so I come to you here, because I have no idea how it works on UnrealIRCD.

I checked the Aliases.conf config, but it aliases specific commands like /identify or /register or /nickserv to other commands. This is pretty fine, but it doesn't solve the issue with /msg nickserv not working anymore.

Is there a way to tell UnrealIRCD that I want all messages for Nickserv forwarded to "Pseudoserv" for example ?

Thanks in advance.
katsklaw

Re: Private messages aliases (nick aliases for services)

Post by katsklaw »

Unreal doesn't care what services package you use. they all work the exact same. The /nickserv command is an alias that points to PRIVMSG NickServ@<services-server>. If aliases used to work but don't now then something has changed in your configuration when you upgraded. The same aliases for Anope 1.8 work with 1.9 as well.
AxelTerizaki

Post by AxelTerizaki »

I apologize if my message wasn't fully understandable, so let me rephrase it.

Before in Anope 1.8.x you could have services aliases. It meant that it created two services called Nickserv and Pseudoserv, for example.

When I upgraded to 1.9.x I realized this option was no more and I did give my services their 'nicknames' on my network since my users were used to it.

However now, Nickserv doesn't exist, so IRC clients doing /msg nickserv don't work right anymore.

What I want to do is pretty simple. I know UnrealIRCd does aliases for commands, but what about forwarding private messages from one nick to the other?

I want that /msg nickserv redirects to /msg pseudoserv

Is that clearer now?
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

oh ok, you are refering to Anope1.8's *Servaliases which I promise has nothing to do with Unreal and unreal cannot take /msg nickserv and send it to /msg pseudoserv .. sorry. Perhaps with a module and I don't know of any that does this but you can check the modules site: http://www.unrealircd.com/modules.php?branch=u3

Code: Select all

# ...Alias <nick> <string>  [OPTIONAL]
#     Specify alternate nicknames for services. When a user will /msg
#     NickServAlias something, it will be forwarded to NickServName, and
#     NickServName will answer. This can be used to ease the migration
#     from another network, for example if your services are called
#     NickKeeper, ChanKeeper, etc ... and the other network calls them
#     NickServ, ChanServ, etc ...

#NickServAlias    "NickServ2"  "Nickname Server Forwarder"
#ChanServAlias    "ChanServ2"  "Channel Server Forwarder"
#MemoServAlias    "MemoServ2"  "Memo Server Forwarder"
#BotServAlias     "BotServ2"   "Bot Server Forwarder"
#HelpServAlias    "HelpServ2"  "Help Server Forwarder"
#OperServAlias    "OperServ2"  "Operator Server Forwarder"
#GlobalAlias      "Global2"    "Global Noticer Forwarder"
#DevNullAlias     "DevNull2"   "/dev/null -- message sink Forwarder"
#HostServAlias    "HostServ2"  "vHost Server Forwarder"
Who ever told you that is Unreal's job lied to you. You can direct them straight to me and I'll explain it to them. There is nothing in RFC1459 that states it's the ircd's job to handle PRIVMSG redirection for the services server or any remote server for that fact. If services wants to support that, it needs to do so internally. Sending PRIVMSG nick@server is actually a direct violation to RFC1459 to start with. It's just widely used since it's far more secure. The only valid targets per standard are nick or user@host.

/nickserv is an alias
/msg nickserv redirecting to /msg pseudoserv is not an alias, never was.

Secondly, There is no requirement for any ircd to offer any aliases, nothing anywhere says it's the ircd's job to provide aliases. It's done so as a security measure/convenience to end users.
AxelTerizaki

Post by AxelTerizaki »

Thank you for your reply, I will try to ask if this feature can come back in a future version of Anope then.

For info, the post which said that it was the IRCd's job is this one :
http://forum.anope.org/index.php?topic=3080.0